Chapter 26

Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she snapped for Crow's throat, not hesitating. Flare wanted payback.

All of that forced affection.

She bared her teeth im frustration as she missed, then swiped again. Her mouth did not connect with Crow's throat; he was rapidly backing away.

All of the taunting remarks about Shadow.

With a belly-deep growl that suprised even herself, she thrust into Crow's shoulder. Her weight carried him off of his paws; he scrambled upright fast enough to throw a delirious glance her way.

All of the repeated disregard for my choices. It ends here. She stalked closer. I never want to be the dog who submits to all of this, ever again.

"M-"

Flare wasn't listening. Her snarls drowned out his words, and cut him off. It was loud and overpowering now, as if her rage further fueled the sound. She felt as if she was seeing red. Crow's black pelt was little more than a blur.

The she-dog let her turmoil out in one burst of explosion. More powerful than a lion, she pushed off with her haunches in a barreling run at Crow.

She didn't care where her teeth landed. Yet somehow, she'd gotten lucky enough to find her open mouth clashing with Crow's scruff.

Her whole body was jerked, but still she kept her teeth firmly closed. They were almost touching together through the skin on Crow's neck, and the blood was salty as it touched her tongue. She jerked her head back and forth with such force that fur was ripped from his jet-black pelt, and filled her mouth with a thick furry feeling.

Flare's chin was soon bathed in bright red. Crow hardly whined; he seemed in a state of shock and disbelief, which only fueled young Flare's confidence.

He never thought I'd do it. With her muzzle still buried in the fur of Crow's neck, she finally looked up.

Shadow's gaze was gloriously full of praise. He looked so proud that he stood on his toes, tail wagging solemnly for Flare.

But the other dogs were stone-cold still, and expressionless. Well- besides Jax. He had a look of aloof disbelief on his wrinkly face.

"She's swift as a pinecone." White Dog broke the silence. It seemed to be a word of praise. At least, she took it that way; detecting no malice or jealousy in the old dog's voice.

"Your teeth are long," Crow observed with a pained gasp. Whilst peering towards the older dogs, Flare had almost forgotten that her fangs were in his skin. She released furtively, stepping back. The young female wasn't about to seriously wound another creature.

But she wagged her tail triumphantly. The weight of what she had just accomplished was still fresh on her mind. Did I just win my first fight?

Well- Crow hadn't retaliated, so it wasn't much of a fight, but still.

Out of the blue, though, the male surged up in an explosion of adrenaline. He knocked into Flare hard enough to topple her, and was on her in an instant. Shocked, she let herself be advanced upon. Crow's black head had filled her entire vision within seconds.

A throaty growl steadily sounded from Crow's bared fangs. His tail was held high up over his back, his hackles risen along his neck and spine. The male looked fearsome, and hatred glinted inside his copper-brown eyes as he glared down at Flare. But there was also confusion painted along his furled brows.

Threateningly, Shadow stepped forward- but he didn't attack. All the while, Flare felt hatred simmer in her belly like a hot steam. She bared her teeth alongside Crow's, their curled muzzles almost touching. Having his face so close to her's, having him standing over her- it was more than too much to tolerate.