Chapter 9

Artwork of Grey Dog and Mocha. Gave Grey Dog his ears &tail because he looked so much cuter w them in my reference!:)

 Gave Grey Dog his ears &tail because he looked so much cuter w them in my reference!:)

~

It was after The Man left for work that mid-morning that Flare's prediction came true. She was laying in the grass near the dog houses when a human stepped outside the back door.

It was the woman- though the dogs had no formal name for her, they knew she was a female by her scent. Unlike The Man, her scent did not constantly flow out of the back door when it opened. This human did not live with The Man, rather she must have had enough of a bond with him to come over and visit, and take care of his dogs. And all the while, Flare was more comfortable around her than The Man himself.

As the young she-dog turned her head towards the dog-houses, she recalled the times she had heard this human's voice alongside The Man's, raised in anger at one time or another. To Flare, it made no sense why the female still came around of her own free will if all he did was snarl at her. And as far as Flare knew, they were not mates nor very kind to each other.

Maybe she comes because of us! She let herself hope. And The Man doesn't like her here, but she likes us so much that she comes anyways. Flare remembered the bones that had given her such a favorable taste last time. Those scraps had come from the woman.

But unfortunately she didn't have anything in her hands today, besides one leash. Flare froze when she saw it, then reminded herself that only The Man took dogs into the shed.

"What's she doing?" Shadow asked openly as she bent down to stroke in-between his ears.

"Your ear looks horrible. Ain't it obvious?" White Dog called from across the yard as he strode up, Jax on his heels.

"In the house?" Shadow asked questioningly.

"Yes." Grey Dog sat up as the girl leaned towards him, but she didn't stoke his head. Instead, she removed Grey Dog's chain. He immediately padded across to his water bucket and market it's side.

Shadow seemed just a bit unsure as he was leashed, then gently tugged towards the back door. Flare kept pace with him, though she had no leash of her own.

"She's going to clean your wounds," she told Shadow as she climbed up the stone slab with them. He nodded reverently.

"Don't be nervous, Brown Dog. She'll take you into the white room and fix your ear," White Dog called. It was the only helpful piece of advice ever offered to Shadow by the other dogs.

Just as Flare was certain that the back door would be closed, the human swooped lower and into her field of view. Flare could see the white tile floors and hardened walls of the den's inside before she tore her gaze away.

The human stoked Flare's ears with smooth furless paws. She gave her tail a small wag but was still the slightest bit timid.

"What's she want with Tan Dog?" Grey Dog called out somewhat aggressively. The human gazed imploringly at Flare for a heartbeat longer, before straightening with a side-step. The tan she-dog found herself missing the soft strokes on her ears.