Chapter 16

All the dogs slept uneasily that night, most of all Flare. The light of the moon breaking through the clouds always glinted in a dog's eyes while they moved. Crow, the newest male in the yard, seemed to hardly sleep that night. The male had moved about constantly, waking Flare and the other dogs- occasionally even staring over at them.

When dawn broke the yard, Flare's muscles felt heavy and stiff. While she sat up, her ill-rested limbs felt a throbbing, dull ache.

Flare yawned and went to relieve herself. She then sniffed about the yard for a few minutes, straying to one side so she could catch the sunlight as it hit the first corner of the yard. After that, she padded back to the porch and settled down to wait. The tan dog kept herself busy with idle chatter towards Shadow as he also awoke, but it seemed quite reserved. Is it because of Crow or the other thing?

She fretted for awhile, but worrying about Shadow's feelings or potential loss of them just put her nerves on end. She could never quite put into words how she felt. 

Well, there was always one thing providing an easy distraction from nervous thoughts.

Soon enough, I'll get food. She wagged her tail just thinking about it. I wonder if there's a place out there where you get scraps every day?

Unfortunately for Flare, she still hasn't had the chance to taste a real dog treat.

"Here comes the other dogs," Shadow said breezily. Flare flicked her ears back, slightly nervous again. Her eyes were on the black male with long fur- and small but intimidating copper eyes. Yesterday, he'd proven to be merciless, and Flare could easily recall him attacking after Grey Dog had turned his back. He might have a few more schemes to play out.

"Listen up." His furry frame stepped around Jax and closer to the outcrop of the stone porch. Crow was panting in-between words, even so early morning. Because his coat is thick and dark, and the sun has just hit this side of the yard. As Flare was looking at him, the devil himself flicked his head ever so slightly and was suddenly staring at Flare. She reverted her eyes onto the swirly patterns of the fence wood immediately.

After a moment, the black dog flicked his ears and glared at the rest of the dogs. They had all assembled on this side of The Yard, knowing The Man would soon enter and feed them.

"I get whatever food the human throws out. If I see any dogs near my vicinity, I'll slash their whimpering muzzles." Flare believed it, seeing how cut up the dog's own nose and muzzle was. She faintly wondered who'd scarred him. Was it other male dogs? That'd be her first guess.

"Wouldn't we be whimpering after you bit us, and not before?" Jax's retort was so spot-on and smart-alik that Flare was taken aback. He'd even used Crow's own drawn-out, malicious tone.

"You're lucky I'm too starving to tooth you now, pup. But from the looks of it, other dogs here have already done that, haven't they?"

Jax licked his lips as he glanced at White Dog and Grey Dog. His wounds from yesterday were still raw, but underneath that were countless scars that almost blended in with his half-white face.

Both of Jax's only companions- if you could even call them that- sat alone, noses tilted slightly in the other direction. The silence said spoke volumes.

"Well- O-of course they have," Jax stammered in a defensive tone. "Dogs are supposed to fight and breed around here- that's why The Man put us all in The Yard together, and that's why he takes us to the shed to-"

His reply was cut off by a harsh snap. Crow had narrowed his eyes and lifted his lip just enough to show his long, off-white canines. The ends of them curved into a polished white tip.