Chapter 20

It's been two mornings, Shadow. Where are you?

Flare shook her ears as water trickled down them. She hated sitting out in the rain, rather than next to the porch with a bit of shelter.

Her thoughts were tugged towards Shadow for the dozenth time. I know I shouldn't expect him to come back- but he said he would. Flare frowned and flopped her head on her paws. Now she had hope, and may end up all the more hurt in the end because of it. She had hardly spoken a word in two days.

Although- the female begrudgingly had to admit that her stomach felt better recently. Crow had been letting her eat alongside him. Guilt had crept through her belly for two mornings, the other dogs being told to stay back while she ate.

I havent eaten so much in... Ever. She licked her lips, more content now. It was odd not having the distant aches of hunger pain.

"Ready to talk yet?" Crow said idly as his tongue out in a yawn. A droplet of water hit it, and he licked his mouth. His paws stretched out before him, toes spreading. Flare felt a small ebb of annoyance at him asking again.

Perhaps I'll say something this time- since it seems he won't hurt me. Flare wasn't fully sure, but doing nothing while waiting for Shadow was pushing her bordem beyond it's limits.

As the rain created a pitter patter noise all around them, she raised her voice to be heard.

"Of what?" Level but slightly curious, she kept herself guarded.

"Well, to start- it seems like you still have Brown Dog on your mind. He won't come back for you." His sentence was tinged with a growl, as if he could hardly stand to speak of the hound.

Flare turned her head away, not wanting to belive it or speak of Shadow with Crow around.

"Sorry, I just wanted to help you get over the runty mutt." Flare's shoulders tensed, for she knew well that Shadow wasn't a runt.

"How about we play in the rain? I saw you playing with a stick with Brown Dog," he growled softly. Flare's hackles raised- she didn't like how she was being spoken to.

"You've no idea about how to speak to others, do you?" She parted her jaws to let out a snarl without a second thought.

"You're so unpleasant," spat Flare. She hoped he realized that it was in intended insult format. But, just as Flare began to regret her tone, Crow flicked his ears dismissively.

"I suppose not. Anyone who I conversed with in my previous Yard was ill-tempered or defensive." Flare studied her long toes, sleek with short yellow fur. Her claws were white, the opposite of Crow's dark nails. Finally, she peeped out a catious reply.

"Were you born there?"

Crow seemed a lot more comfortable than Flare. He stared at her and laid down with his shoulders loose and head up, tail curled limply beside him.

"Yes. Are you asking for more information than that?" He dawdled, sliding his eyes away. Flare literally had to force her own eyes not to roll.

"Sure-" she said dryly.

"Okay-" he said in the same tone, mocking her. Flare flattened her ears and felt her muzzle twitch. Now I'm definitely in a bad mood.
She sat stiffly with her eyes looking towards the end of the yard, towards the fence she had seen time and time again. It was rapidly growing dark in the rain- and alongside it came a mist that was difficult to see through. Flare couldn't make out any of the other dogs in the yard, or smell them.

"I would have to admit that my life's not been a comfortable one," he began with slow admittance. Crow's attitude seemed to be gone, for now at least.

Good. His soaked ears were pointer than usual, and slick from the rain.