Chapter 12

The two dogs began playing regularly after that. Flare had found a newfound confidence in using her paws and teeth to take the pinecone from Shadow. Her nose was narrower and niftier than his. After a few days of use, the pinecone unfortunately became too small to properly grip- so the two dogs had nothing to play with. Almost two weeks passed before more sticks and pinecones fell into the Yard, on an extra windy day.

Flare and Shadow were trying to agree on a large but thin stick near the back fence when Grey Dog barked. Though it was normal for the other dogs to bark at sounds from the neighborhood, his tone made Flare turn and look.

The muscular grey dog was barking with his ears pricked towards the house. Flare wondered what his deal was, recalling the fact that the dogs had been fed a few minutes prior. It was around mid-morning, though the sun was blocked by tight clouds. Wind whistled through Flare's ears as she pricked them and listened.

"Mocha!"

"He's yelling Mocha's name," Shadow said from beside her. When she looked over, she had to resist the impulse to jerk away. Shadow had stepped almost close enough to brush flanks.

"She's inside the house," Flare stated sadly as she watched him. Although Grey Dog had been totally unforgiving to her at all times before now, she still felt a tug of pain in her chest as she watched him.

Mocha, Grey Dog's mate, was still trapped inside of the house with her puppies. And what was worse, she hadn't been let into The Yard for quite some time.

"Wonder why Mocha hasn't been outside in two days?" Shadow whispered in a suspicious tone. He looked Flare's way but she subconsciously avoided his gaze, fearing the worst.

Both dogs ear's twitched involuntarily as they heard Jax approach. He was followed closely by White Dog, who moved slower and on older paws.

"She still isn't answering him," White Dog commented halfheartedly. They halted a few dog-lengths away.

Jax had sat down to pant, though it didn't seem too hot to Flare. And her pelt was much thicker, especially around her neck and in-between her shoulders. The wind tugged on her fur and blew it away from the skin on one side.

"No dog wants to say it, do they?" White Dog said with more confidence. Jax looked up at him and solemnly closed his mouth, shaking his head.

"Grey Dog's going to be upset about it, but... The Man might have traded away Mocha, as well as the puppies, this time."

Flare nearly gasped. She couldn't imagine why Mocha was ripped away from Grey Dog so suddenly. Though Shadow wasn't a mate for her, she assumed that having him disappear would be a difficult thing to deal with. I'd be lonely. White Dog and Jax have each other, and I have Shadow... But now Grey Dog has no one.

He turned suddenly, and noticed the others watching him. Instead of reacting negatively as he often did, Grey Dog's face twisted into one of panic and confusion.

"It's been so long since I heard her bark back. She used to bark back every time from inside the den. What if she's sick?" Grey Dog's eyes shone with worry as he addressed the other dogs.

White Dog's ears were pinned back nervously. Even after announcing it moments earlier, he was still finding it hard to state the obvious to Grey Dog. When no one responded, the male carried on frantically.

"I need help from you- all of you. Please, when The Man comes outside in the morning- someone needs to sneak in there and check for Mocha!" His eyes looked pleading, and soon he turned his muzzle away as if he couldn't bear to ask for help. Finally, Grey Dog swallowed.