Chapter 30

The clouds were clustered together tightly on the first night that the dogs dealt with their profound loss. Flare and Grey Dog thought not of moving White Dog's cold body, but instead huddled close to it as they sat in silent, conjoined grief.

Flare was wrenched from her somber thoughts as a long, drawn-out howl split the silence. It had come from Shadow, and continued to ring in her ears long after the pained noise had stopped.

Flare leapt to her feet and skittered around the dog-houses as fast as she could. She'd forgotten about the confrontation with Crow. It's not over, she thought with repulsive energy as she skidded to a halt beside the male dogs.

It never is with Crow.

Flare bared her teeth at Crow, causing the tall male to back off. His eyes were bright with enthralled pleasure as he stepped away, though. Blood spattered the male's back nose, hardly visible except for it's wet reflection in the moonlight.

"He thought he'd won with Jax's help, for once- but dumb dogs always turn their backs." With a jeer towards them, Crow clicked his teeth together.

Flare was more concerned about Shadow's limping back leg than Crow's pestering taunts. The kinder brown dog set his foot to the ground, then winced.

Flare located the source of the wound with a sniff. It reeked of blood-scent, and as she stooped closer she could see a gape of split skin that had been sliced open by long teeth.

The wound was ripped open in such a way that Flare could see solid muscle and tendon underneath. She stifled a gasp and had to force herself not to look away.

Jax was still leaping for his opponents chest. Crow backed away with his gaze on Flare, chain rattling. His cold stare was unwavering.

How unsettling it is, that Crow can stare so beeseechingly whilst being attacked.

"Shame, isn't it? All of this could end if Flare just agreed to be with me again." He curled his lip at Shadow as the male shifted.

Flare glowered at him. She couldn't believe him still trying, despite all this. Leaving Shadow in the grass behind her, she ran up to Crow and only stopped when she was nose to nose with the male. The force of her run up caused the air to whoosh around Crow's head, and he flicked his ears.

Flare was dimly aware of Jax right underneath them, but he hardly reached past the two dog's long legs. She snarled right in Crow's face, who peeled his own lips back defensively.

"I am done with you, forever. How many times do you have to be told? I don't want you as a mate and I NEVER WILL!" Flare's voice rose to a screech at the end. She felt her edge slipping, her nerves climbing until they toppled over, and she was shaking with undisguised intolerance.

"Just stay out of my life, Crow! I hate you, and this Yard, and if I never saw this place, or your face again then I'd be happier THAN I'VE EVER BEEN!" Her paws shook, digging rivulets into the dirt below them. Her tail was arched high over her back, and her hackles raised in a ridge along her spine and neck. Flare was entirely fed up.

As the male simply looked in shock, Flare thrust her chest into his and thrust him backwards as Jax had been trying to do. How much clearer can I make myself?

With a lunge, she grabbed the black dog's foreleg and twisted while pinching hard. A high-pitched whine escaped Crow's lips, and he flinched back with his mouth open fearfully.

Flare glared down at him ruefully. He was not a powerful dog- he never had been. Not in the ways that count in The Yard. He was simply cunning, and smart- and out to benefit himself. Which was a very non-colorful combo of personality traits, in her opinion.