Chapter 21 - Crunch

There are some at this point in their lives or still trying to figure things out like myself. This is very relatable and hope it can help someone.

Enjoy.

~~~~~

I'm posing Miku Friday on Thursday night because I have a 12 hour shift tomorrow AND have to work Saturday making it six days in a row because of a work related crisis. So hope you enjoy the chapter and see you probably next week.

A little over a week passed as (FN) and Miku were slightly growing their relationship. While they were able to spend time at the (LN) establishment and be able to travel across the city for an occasional date, it was progressing. The way the hit it off, to Miku blushing just a little less, to (FN) feeling a little more confident. Not a Chad and never negative to begin with, but a little progress. When it came down to it everyone approved of the relationship from Eito, Nino the sister with the most doubt to the ara-ara princess in Ichika, and Maruo to a point was secretly content. Only because Eito struck a deal with him because his logic wasn't commendable.

On a Thursday night Eito was having a cup of coffee after dinner with his son as Makia was taking care of the dishes. It was just him and (FN) at the moment and Eito had a few questions for him. This is when it would get interesting. The topic on his mind was future. This was for all of the marbles.

"So Son, you got a few minutes for me?" Asked Eito.

"What's on your mind?" Asked (FN) taking a sip of his coffee.

"Have you figured out what you're doing in a couple months? School? Work? Girlfriend? Anything for about six months from now?" Eito wasn't going to drop the hammer, but it was always a rough conversation for any teenager. Whether he/she wants to be a game tester, attorney, educator, photographer, or even an engineer. Always a horrible subject for most seniors in high school and it doesn't get much easier. Depending on the father of course.

"Least you're being specific. I was about to say." (FN) shook his head.

"I mean, school or work as long as one of those is going on. You're too smart to just sit around you know."

"I understand that. Miku and I will have to sit down and talk about it. I mean school is already crunch time as it is. Least work when you leave you don't need to do anything outside of it right?" (FN) shrugged his shoulders trying to make a point.

"I'm not self made mind you. I had support. Even from your mother when she had plenty of doubt."

"Speaking of, you're okay that I still talk to Aria right?"

Eito smiled. "Of course I am. She was a mother figure to you."

"Yeah. Still that special something something. Although, thank you to you and Makia because despite Mom and I not getting along I turned out fine."

"Does Miku know about that?" His father seemed dreadfully nervous asking.

"All of the sisters do and they think it's shocking that I came out just fine. Think about it. Mom had the baby girl and outside the check-ins it is all bullshit material." He scoffed.

"Come on. We're still at the table." Eito complained.

"Just saying. I don't remember the last time that woman said I love you. You've said it while eating dinner and having a good laugh with me. I don't have any knowledge of her saying it. I don't want her at my graduation and Rinoah can ostrich her forehead into concrete. Simple. Talk bad about me and want respect?"

"True. It doesn't work that way." His father agreed with him.

"I'd rather have Aria there. And even if Mom got the invite, would she even go?"

"I can't answer that. I don't have any idea. I think it would be weighed out."

"Come on Dad. I don't know if it's her or the husband. All I know is she can make the call. But I'm not some trophy you stand next to and you put down and see it every four times a year."

"I agree with you there. She wasn't part of the process." Even Makia overheard and said his case. "Beg pardon Sir. But I should be seeing him graduate or be on that date and one day proposing to a glass of wine."

"The thing is for whatever you do after you graduate. I don't care if it's a university collared shirt or a hardhat. I just want to know if you got it all there yet. You got a lot going for yourself. But what's going in between the ears right now?"

(FN) sighed. "Honestly Dad I've had a few ideas about what to do but is it bad for me to want to pick a school and do general courses before I commit to a direction? My second year or so?"

"It also depends on where you rank right now. Your placement test will be pretty high. And there is a redo if you pay for it of course. That said, that degree might come quick depending on how you do. Just remember what I said. But I still believe in you. And, the way that this has gone, you should sit down at a table with a notepad with Miku right next to you. If she wasn't important then I wouldn't have called Maruo."

"Oh boy. Good point..." (FN) sipped his coffee and his emotions were starting to hit him. There hasn't been much talk about what the future was holding. There was gaming events, homework, and the Maruo debacle, but it was time to walk future. There is never a great time to bring it up. It just comes and goes. But this was another step in the relationship that can also break them apart.

~~~~~

Miku logged on and was waiting in the guild hall in game. Seeing when her boyfriend IRL and in game guild member Valor would come around. She checked her daily boxes and looked around at some easy daily tasks. But fifteen minutes went by. It was a little after eight o'clock. There was no more sun outside and should have been out of the shower a while ago. She was wondering what was going on. Not even a text or a call. It was supposed to be their time. They treated it like date night.

Babe... Please tell me it's a router reset or something. Miku pouted.

< Kiri? > Said a voice on the mic.

"Where've you been Babe?" She asked.

"At my work desk reviewing some stuff. Sorry about that. Phone's on the charger and when I looked at the time I found out I was late. Had my mic plugged in the PC and everything just waiting. But needed to make a little progress."

Miku thought about that and immediately thought something was off. "But, you do your homework before you log on. You always do."

"Some prep stuff. Goals, future, that sort of thing. It's been daunting on me for a while now."

"So," She had no idea where to begin. Miku clearly felt that there was an issue bothering him. But what did it involve? How would a girlfriend go about this? But (FN) isn't the type of young man that doesn't like to talk either. "Anything that I can do?"

"Well Miku, you're staying in the city after we graduate right?" He asked.

"Yeah. Something's going Babe. What is it? Why can't you tell me?" He could hear in her voice is was making her unwell.

"Just picking through schools and offers."

"How many offers?"

"I got ten all paid..." And how many can say that one?

"That's great. But why does it seem that you are unhappy? Not the school you want?"

"I guess you can say having cold feet for what is happening next. There is a lot going into it. But let's game for a bit. We're going to have to sit and talk about this another time. I got daily challenges and check-ins along with a collection from another quest. So in the meantime let's get it." Hoping that this would heal the stress all the way to a point. But of course Miku wasn't letting this go.

I'm not dropping this tomorrow Valor. I love you too much. "Fine Babe. But you're in trouble tomorrow after school mister. I don't work tomorrow." And with a right-click she was going right to the bar in the guild hall. Time to get down to the grind.

~~~~~

Hope you enjoy.

-Rel