Chapter 5

ASHLEY’S POV

I get so sick of thinking about death. It consumes my life and the lives of everyone around me.

It’s been four days since Bonnie died…or four days since I found out that Bonnie died. She wanted me to go back to school, so here I am, back at school…studying, going to class, trying to move on like everyone else is.

Elena has been there for me through all of this and I’ve been there for her. It’s nice to have people with you through something like this.

Stefan had it the easiest. He doesn’t even remember Bonnie, not that anybody has seen him except for Caroline, who’s back with Tyler. He’s been a healthy distraction for her, to say the least.

And I’ve adopted my own distraction…Dr. Wes Maxfield. My roommate was killed by a vampire and Dr. Maxfield covered it up. I’d like to know why.

“Welcome back.” I hear his voice and I look up to see Dr. Maxfield walking past me as I sit on a bench outside. “See you at the costume ball tonight?” He asks.

“I wouldn’t miss it.” I smile politely.

Besides, the more I have to think about, the less time I have to miss Bonnie. But in the meantime, I choose to believe that she’s watching over me because that’s who Bonnie is.

My phone vibrates, breaking me from my thoughts. I pick up my phone and look at the screen to see that it’s Damon. I sigh and place my phone back down on the bench, not answering it.

“Busted.” Damon says from behind me and I turn to see him sliding his phone back into his pocket.

“Hey.” I smile slightly.

“Hey, Miss Avoiding-Me-For-Three-Days.” He teases.

“Avoiding you? What? We’ve been talking.” I argue as he walks over to stand in front of me.

“Texting. One time. ‘Want to be my plus one at the costume ball?…winky face.’” He says, reciting the text that I sent him the other day.

“And you never replied. So I’m guessing this special, in person visit means yes?” I ask hopefully, standing from the bench.

“Definitely will maybe consider thinking about it.” He smirks.

“It’s at eight. Caroline got us costumes.” I say, leaning up to kiss him on the cheek, before turning to pick up my bag.

“Where are you going?” He asks with a frown.

“To class. I’m late.” I say quickly before walking away from him.

I walk briskly across campus wanting to make it to class on time. I’m trying to be as normal as possible and think normal thoughts.

That all stops when I walk past Megan’s memorial. I see a guy standing next to it, looking down at it and breathing heavily like he’s nervous or upset or something.

I walk over to him and give him a small smile.

“Hey.” I say nicely.

“Hey.” He says, avoiding eye contact.

“I’m Ashley. Megan used to be my roommate. Did you know her?” I want to get some answers from this mysterious guy.

“We knew each other growing up.”

“Oh, wow, I’m sorry.” I say genuinely, but he just shrugs.

He reaches down and picks up the one little wilted flower sitting on the headstone with her name and picture.