Chapter 14

DAMON’S POV

Enzo and I are in some abandoned farmhouse in the middle of nowhere and there is blood literally everywhere. Oops.

I glance down at the guy lying on the floor. He should wake up any minute now, but that minute can’t come soon enough.

“You think they fell in love milking cows?” Enzo asks from across the room where he’s looking at picture of this guy with his wife.

“Probably.” I shrug. “Then she became one. So he drank himself into oblivion…she cheated with the pastor.” I guess.

“Just because you lost your true love doesn’t mean you have to dump on others.” He tells me and I roll my eyes.

“There’s no love in there. Look at that picture. It’s old. The milk maid’s nowhere to be found…it’s just pathetic old farmer John.” I mock.

“Manners.” Enzo scolds. “It’s impolite to speak ill of our hosts.”

“I doubt he’ll mind.” I scoff.

“Alright cranky.” Enzo says, looking at his phone. “It’s been almost eight hours since you last fed. So I suppose that’s about right.”

“Are you timing me?” I ask, raising an angry eyebrow.

“You feed on vampires now. I am a vampire. The only way to ensure my safety is to know how long you can last until your next fix.” He explains.

“Or, you can just leave.”

“I don’t abandon my friends, Damon.” He says, looking into my eyes. “Besides, if you hadn’t come with me to kill Dr. Wes, he wouldn’t have stuck you with that nasty virus.”

Our conversation is interrupted when the man lying on the floor gasps and wakes up. “What did you do? What’s happened?” He asks, sitting up and looking at Enzo.

“You died, but luckily you had my blood in your system, so when you drink this…” Enzo says, holding up a blood bag. “You’ll feel much better.”

The man quickly takes the bag and starts chugging it. He gets his strength back and stands to his feet, still not sure what’s happening.

“What was that?” He asks nervously.

“That was blood. You’re a vampire, congratulations.” Enzo smiles.

“I’m a what?” The guy panics. It doesn’t matter. It’s not gonna last long for him.

“I know, I know. It’s overwhelming and Damon will explain more in a bit, but before he does, settle a bet. Your wife, where is she?” Enzo asks and I smile.

“Wait…I drink blood now?” The guy frowns.

“Again, we’ll explain everything. Where’s your wife?” Enzo tries again.

“She’s gone. She left me years ago.” He stutters and my smile grows.

“Pastor? Pastor?” I ask repeatedly as the guy turns to face me.

“Pharmacist.” He mutters. Damn it. I was wrong. 

“Close enough.” I say with a shrug as I lunge towards the guy and grab his neck.

I sink my teeth in and my body is filled with a euphoric sensation as the blood trickles down my throat. I drink and drink until his body gets weak.

I pull away and blood drips from my lips. Dropping him to the ground, I look up at Enzo with dark eyes.

“Stop trying to scare me, Damon. I’m not leaving you. I’m the only friend you have left.” Enzo tells me.

There’s something about his words. They sound like something she would have said to me.