Chapter 8

ASHLEY’S POV

Caroline and I walk into the dorm room to find Elena doing her makeup while Bonnie is video chatting with her mom.

“Oh, here they are. Hey, guys. Say hi to my mom.” Bonnie says excitedly as Caroline and I wave to her mom on the screen of her laptop. “They’re planning me a welcome party. Just something low key. I miss you. Please come visit when you get a chance. I’ll talk to you soon.” She chimes before ending the call.

“By the way mom, I’m not a witch anymore because I died and then came back from the other side.” Elena mocks.

“Yeah, I’m this supernatural anchor that connects the two worlds together, so…” I trail off, joining in on the teasing.

“Technically, I’m a ghost that people can see and touch.” Caroline adds and we all laugh.

“Okay, so I left out a detail…or two.” Bonnie shrugs. “I’ll explain when she visits. How big is this party going to be?” She asks, changing the subject.

“Well, let’s see. Silas and Tessa are gone, and you finally aren’t.” Elena says happily.

“Which equals a massive cause for celebration!” Caroline squeals.

“Which equals a massive party. Hopefully, I mean, since each of us have hardly made any friends.” I point out.

“And given that my friend, Jesse, went radio silent after he kissed me, and that Aaron kid was last seen at a tea party for a vampire-hating secret society.” Caroline says sadly.

Apparently, I missed a lot while I was gone. Caroline and Tyler broke up so Caroline started hanging out with that guy, Jesse. Then out of nowhere, Jesse stopped talking to her.

On top of that, Katherine showed up because she’s dying and needed a place to ‘crash.’ That led to her helping Caroline and Elena find out more information about Dr. Wes and whatever he meant when he told me that we should all get out of here.

Surprisingly Katherine agreed to pose as Elena and attend a party for that society of people that supposedly knows about vampire. She was able to walk through the door without an invitation and that got the school off of our back…for now.

I guess Aaron was at that gathering, which makes me feel like he may have something to do with this secret society.

“Augustine, right?” Bonnie asks. That’s the name of this society. “The one who covered up your roommate’s death and wants you all kicked off of campus.”

Wow, she seems to understand all of this more than I do. Caroline, Elena, and I all give her a surprised look.

“What? I’ve kept up.” Bonnie explains. “The other side is boring. What else am I supposed to do?”

“Alright. So, Augustine wants us gone. Who cares?” I ask. “It doesn’t matter. It’s not gonna happen. We’re moving on with our lives, together, as functional vampires and a former witch, anchor thing. I don’t know.” I say and we all laugh.

“You’re right, Ashley. Who cares? We have a party to plan.” Elena says with a smile.

“With Jell-O shots.” Caroline adds and I nod.

“Oh, shoot, um…” Bonnie shifts uncomfortably as she looks at her phone. “I have to go register for classes.”

That didn’t seem convincing at all. I look at Elena who looks at me and then at Caroline.

“What?” Bonnie asks as she watches us exchange looks.

“Nothing.” We all say and she turns around, smiling as she walks out of the room.