Chapter 13

KATHERINE’S POV

I love my life. I smile to myself as I sit up in my bed in the dorm room. That’s right. The dorm room. I didn't leave town because for once in my life, I didn’t have to.

I’m Ashley Scott. Everyone around me would bend over backwards to save my life. No more running. No more hiding.

Seriously, becoming Ashley Scott is the best thing that has ever happened to me. 

I walk over to my dresser and slide on some jeans and a top, before looking into the mirror. I start applying makeup with a smile never leaving my face.

I finally have everything I ever wanted. I’m young, healthy, gorgeous. Everyone loves me. But best of all, I’m a vampire again.

I grab my phone from the table next to my bed and I go straight to the pictures. Ugh. It’s filled with pictures of me and Damon. I scroll through and delete every single one.

Rest in peace, Ashley. Thanks for giving me the perfect life. And now that I’ve corrected the single worst decision you ever made…falling in love with Damon Salvatore…I’m gonna win back the one thing that I’ve always wanted.

I come across a picture of me with Stefan, and I smile to myself as I set it as the background.

That’s more like it.

***

I follow Elena, Bonnie, and Caroline into a classroom. I’m not even complaining about the fact that Ashley decided to live the average human life. It’s better than being on the run.

“So we all agree? No more moping about life’s little failures and no more dabbling the dark arts of boyfriends past.” Caroline says to us. “This is a fresh start.”

I guess if Caroline and Tyler weren’t completely over before, they are now. Sorry about that.

“Couldn’t agree more. I happen to love fresh starts.” I speak up with a smile.

“Um, Elena and I haven’t been moping or dabbling.” Bonnie adds.

“Yeah.” Elena says with a nod.

“No one likes a bragger, you guys.” Caroline scolds as we take our seats in the classroom. “Today is the dawning of a new era. This is stage one of our metamorphosis into the land of the brave, the free, and the single.”

“Bonnie’s not single.” Elena reminds Caroline.

“Bonnie’s best friends are single, which makes her single adjacent. So she can be our wing woman.” Caroline explains as she hands me a flyer.

“Whitmore’s Annual Bitter Ball.” I read the flyer. “A night to celebrate broken hearts, jilted lovers, and bitter singles. This is our fresh start?” I ask.

“No. This is our purge, our cleanse. This is where we rid ourselves from the baggage better known as our tragic and mortifying first semester.” Caroline tells us all.

“I’ll drink to that.” I say with a determined nod and smile.

Life is good.

DAMON’S POV

The front door opens and I squint my eyes from the light that peaks into the living room. I’m lying on the couch with the lights off and curtains pulled, but Stefan has just ruined that.

He walks in and takes in the scene of the broken alcohol bottles that are scattered across the floor.

“Hey. Sorry about the mess.” I groan, sitting up. “I had some company and things got a little out of hand.”