Chapter 1

This is the fifth book in the Humanity series. So if you haven't read the first four, they're on my profile. ***side note***The words in italics in the first part of this chapter is an email conversation between Bonnie and Ashley. Enjoy!

***

ASHLEY'S POV

Hey Bonnie,

How is the summer almost over, and yet I feel like I got nothing done? Sounds like you're having fun traveling with your mom. I still don't know how we're all supposed to do this whole college thing without you. Elena and Caroline feel the same way. Caroline has spent the whole summer designing the color palette for our dorm room, while Tyler's been away helping some wolf pack in Tennessee.

Matt and Rebekah have been sending postcards. I think they're in Amsterdam now...or was it Prague? I can't keep track, and honestly, I'm not sure I really want to know. Anyway, I can't wait to see you.

When do you get back?

Love, Ashley

I laugh as Damon throws me down onto the bed. He climbs on top of me, kissing all over my body. I continue to giggle as he tickles my sides while keeping his lips on mine.

I bring my hands up to his hair and then down to his bare chest.

He kisses along my neck and gently slides my bra strap from my shoulder.

This is how the whole summer has been for me and it's been pretty great. I've also learned that he was holding back in the bedroom while I was human. He was afraid of hurting me, but now there's no need for that...so 'amazing' would be a better word for it.

Hey Ashley,

What's up? You guys have no idea how much I miss you. I've been emailing with Jeremy. He says it's been surreal to be alive.

I climb on top of Damon on the couch and press my lips to his. He grabs my waist to deepen the kiss, when the front door opens.

I quickly pull away and turn to see Jeremy walk into the house and look away awkwardly.

"Hey, um, sorry. I...I thought you left." I say, standing up and straightening my clothes out.

"I did...five hours ago." Jeremy answers, walking towards the kitchen.

"Alright, well, there's pizza in the fridge..." I trail off as he disappears. I look back at Damon and laugh.

If Elena forcing Katherine to ingest the only cure on this earth and having to live as a human isn't justice, I don't know what is.

I sit in Damon's bathtub reading the email from Bonnie. She was able to do a spell that kept Jeremy on this side before she put the veil back up. She couldn't save everyone, but it's been great to have Jeremy back. And Stefan wouldn't take the cure so Elena ended up with it. She used it to get her revenge on Katherine. She shoved it down her throat.

Damon climbs out of the shower and wraps a towel around his waist as I continue to read the email on my phone.

I miss you guys. I'm glad you're having a great summer.

P.S. Have you heard from Stefan?

I put my phone down, finishing the email and sighing as I think about that last question. The answer is no. I haven't heard from Stefan in too long.

"You okay?" Damon asks, walking over and sitting on the edge of the tub.

"Yeah, I've just got this weird feeling like something bad's about to happen." I admit.