Chapter 12

KATHERINE’S POV

I see Matt sitting on a bench in the middle of town square and I hurry over to him. Coming up behind him, I place my hands over his eyes with a smile.

“Guess who?” I chime.

“I wonder.” Matt says, smiling. “Ashley Scott?” He asks and I pull my hands away.

“Yep.” I giggle, leaning in to kiss his cheek. I walk around him and sit down on the bench next to him.

“You’re in a good mood.” He exclaims.

“Well. It’s a good day. We’re alive.” I say proudly. So far, my plan is working swimmingly. Matt thinks I’m Ashley, which is exactly what I need.

“So, what did you want to talk to me about?” He asks, referring to the fact that I called him earlier and told him to meet me here…well, meet Ashley…aka me…I guess.

“Are you still drinking vervain?” I ask bluntly.

“No. I wear this bracelet.” He says, holding his wrist up. “In case anyone ever needs my blood, remember?”

That’s the problem. I don’t remember because I didn’t keep tabs on Ashley Scott’s entire existence which is why I need Matt’s help.

“This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you.” I say, ripping the bracelet from his wrist. The vervain burns my skin and I wince in pain.

“What are you doing? I need that.” Matt says in confusion.

“Long story short, I’m Katherine. Not Ashley.” I admit.

“Katherine's dead.” He tells me like I’m an idiot.

“Not exactly…while you guys were all playing drinking games, toasting to what a horrible person I am, I was plotting a way to passenger myself into one of your heads. Then I decided, why not Ashley? She was always my favorite.” I admit.

“Oh my god.” Matt says, starting to panic.

He stands up to leave, but I grab his arm and pull him back down.

“Anyway…I need a crash course on all things Ashley Scott. She’s in college now…all grown up. You’re human so I can compel you all I want.” I say as I stand up and twirl around. “So. What do you think? How’s my dress?”

He frowns and looks extremely confused and worried. Good.

“It screams safe and predictable. Am I right or am I right?” I ask him.

“I’m not doing this.” Matt says as he tries to stand again. This time, Nadia appears behind him and shoves his shoulders back down.

“Just compel him already.” She instructs me.

“Take the fun right out of it, why don’t you?” I ask, rolling my eyes before bending down and looking into Matt’s eyes. “Play along with my secret, Matty Pants. Would Ashley wear this dress to a party?”

“No to the dress. Yes to the shoes.” Matt says in a trance. “So you’re dead and hitching a ride in her brain?” He asks.

“For now…until I make it permanent.” Nadia explains.

“Permanent how?” Matt asks.

“When’s Ashley’s birthday?” I ask, ignoring Matt’s question.

“June 22nd.” He answers and I smile.

“What’s my address?”

“2104 Maple Street, but you moved most of your stuff out and you live at the Salvatore’s when you aren't at school.”