Chapter 16

ASHLEY’S POV

I smile down at Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, Jeremy, and Matt as I dance back and forth on the bar. People all around me are cheering and drinking.

“Take it off!” Matt yells playfully and I smile. I slide my jacket off my shoulders and toss it at Matt.

I climb down from the bar and grab a shot, handing it to Jeremy and grabbing one for myself.

“To friends!” I cheer, raising my glass.

“To friends!” They all respond as they knock their shots back. I’m about to do it too, but I stop.

“Am I seriously that easy to impersonate?” I snap and everyone looks at me. “Or do you guys really not know me at all?”

“Ashley, what’s going on?” Jeremy asks as everyone else laughs awkwardly.

“When have I ever danced on a bar and done a strip tease? You think I would come to a college bar, and give shots to Jeremy, who’s underage?” I ask all of them.

“Ashley…what are you talking about?” Elena asks with a frown.

“I’m not Ashley, Elena. I’m Katherine. It’s not me…you guys know me. I…I would never do that, guys.” I say, getting emotional. “Katherine has taken over my body. This isn’t me!”

As I yell, my eyes shoot open and I sit up in bed. It was all a dream. I’m in my dorm room. I’m back. Everything’s okay, right?

There isn’t anyone in the room, which is a little weird, so I stand up and walk out of the room. I walk through the hallway and down the steps.

“Hello?” I call through the empty common area.

No one answers, but I hear the floor creak behind me. I spin around to see Stefan standing behind me.

“Hey. You’re awake.” He smiles.

“Stefan…what are you doing here? Where is everyone?” I ask nervously.

“Everyone’s gone. The whole school cleared out for spring break. You’ve been in and out since you first woke up.” He explains and I nod.

“Oh…okay. That makes sense. I thought I was going crazy.” I say as I walk towards Stefan.

Suddenly, my body stops. There’s an invisible wall, keeping me here. What the hell?