40. HOME

HOME

"So it's been a year and a half?" Peter asks as they walk towards the compound

"Pretty much," the girl replies, Peter kicking a small rock out of the way.

For him it was as simple as just closing his eyes and opening them back up, in the same place but apparently not at the same time.

As they enter the compound, Peter stops in his tracks, the girl stopping beside him.

"Pete," she softly calls out, "you okay?"

"Yeah," He says blinking a few times. "I'm okay. It's just feels weird being back."

The compound hadn't changed much but something feels different still.

Silence engulfs them as they enter the compound, Peter noticing a few small changes around the place.

"Hey, you put new pictures up," Peter points out.

"Um yeah, I did," she says with a soft smile, pursing her lips as he takes a few of them to have a closer look, briefly smiling before he puts them back in their place.

"I like them, they're nice."

"Thanks," she says, moving on from her room to the next.

"Your room is still the same," she explains, "we cleaned it up the best we could but we didn't want to move anything around."

"Thanks," he says sitting on his bed.

After a brief pause, she speaks up again.

"You should probably get some rest," she says, but neither makes an effort to move. Instead, the boy quietly stares at the floor before speaking up.

"Can you, stay?" He asks, his eyes searching her face for a reaction. Much to his relief, the girl immediately agrees, plopping down next to him.

"You up for a movie?"

"A movie sounds good," she says.

Anything works as long as she gets to spend a little more time with him. She doesn't want to admit it, but she was hesitant to leave him, relieved when her friend asked her to stay.

Neither really play attention as the movie plays, her head resting on his chest chest while his arm is wrapped around her shoulders, his chin resting on top of her head.