20. Complications

Turns out that the assigned missions weren't the same. Tony has already been back for a week but there is still no sign of Peter coming back any time soon. Communication had also been scarce for a while worrying the team even more.

Just what kind of mission did he get?

However the one that was probably worried the most besides Tony, is his best friend, who hadn't stopped pacing around the living in circles for a while, her phone tightly clutched on her hand in case he calls.

"Any news from the kid FRIDAY?" Tony asks.

"No news Mr. Stark." FRIDAY reports making Tony sigh.

"Alright, thanks." He says glancing at the girl as she walks away, probably heading towards her room.

Vanessa has been trying her best to keep busy as much as possible, but the knot on her stomach makes it hard to focus on anything, specially training.

Is he okay? Is he hurt? Did something happen? 

She wonders slumping down against the wall, tilting her head back as she replays his last voicemail.

"Hey, it's me, can you call me when you get a chance?" Peter says. "I just," he pauses letting out a sigh, "I could really use a familiar voice right now."

Immediately after hearing the message, she dialed his number but no one picked up, and from then on there were no news from him.

With a sigh, Vanessa winces as a strong energy pulse makes it way down her arm, her powers out of control ever since that day.

Maybe I should sleep it off. She thinks to herself pulling herself onto the bed, hoping that by the time she wakes up, maybe something will change.

Instead, Vanessa wakes up with a familiar burning sensation in her eyes, her hands glowing blue as she rushes towards the lab to find help.

"B-Bruce?" She calls out holding the side of her head, her vision blurry as she looks around the lab.

"Oh boy..." Bruce says dropping his documents to the side as he rushes to her. "What's going on?"

"Too much energy buildup." Vanessa answers through gritted teeth.

"Have you been training?" Bruce asks giving her a slight nod when she shakes her head. "Okay, let's get you some fresh air."

Bruce places an arm under hers to help her stand up, beads of sweat quickly forming on his forehead due to the high temperature of the girl's body, but as they take a step forward, she falls on her knees.

Knowing that they are running out of time, Bruce carefully places the girl on his back and carries her to the rooftop, carefully helping her sit on the floor.

"Is there anything that I can help with?" He asks wiping his forehead with his sleeve.

"I need Loki." She says, her chest heaving up and down with rapid, heavy breaths.

"Okay, I'll see what I can do." Bruce says sitting in front of her.

"Can you try to breathe with me?" He asks in an attempt to help her focus like he had learned a long time ago. "Just inhale, and exhale, try to match the rhythm with mine."

"O-okay." The girl says imitating the pattern, managing to get her breathing under control for the time being.

"Good. Let's keep going okay?"

Bruce slightly jumps as a person suddenly appears next to him, the figure quickly crouching down in front of the girl blocking Bruce's view.

"Loki," Bruce says, "I never thought I would say this but thank goodness you're here, she said she needs you."