21. May I have this dance?

After countless obstacles and what seemed like an eternity, the day finally arrived for the long awaited wedding, the Avengers finishing up any last minute details before they head to their respective rooms to get ready for the night.

In her room, Vanessa softly hums to herself as she finishes her make up, a smile forming on her lips as she sees a shadow out of the corner of her eyes.

"Hi Loki." She says turning to face him as she clips her earrings. "What brings you here?"

"I came to bother my favorite mortal." He nonchalantly says, his eyes scanning the girl to make sure she's okay. "How have you been feeling?"

"Better." She says with a smile, lowering her gaze as she speaks again. "I never really got to thank you the other day."

"You should really consider visiting, you could get more training that way." He says changing the subject.

"That sounds good, maybe one of these day I will." She says with a slight chuckle, quieting down when Loki looks at her with a frown, green eyes piercing into her soul. "Um, Loki?"

Without saying another world, Loki stands up and makes his way towards the girl.

"What is that?" Loki asks stepping closer to her, his face only inches away from hers.

"What is what?" She asks taking a step back.

"The thing on your face." He points out with a frown, his hand hovering around her cheek for a few seconds before he pulls it back, Vanessa letting out a breath she didn't she was holding.

"You mean makeup?" She asks self consciously pulling a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Yes. Why are you wearing it?"

"Because it's a special occasion." She answers relaxing her shoulders. "Why? Does it look bad?"

"I wouldn't say that." Loki says. "It's just different." He adds, his face saying that he wants to say more but he doesn't elaborate. He isn't exactly good with compliments.

"It's Tony's wedding today." Vanessa says as he walks away.

"I heard." He says, a ghost of a smile on his lips. "Don't worry, I'm not staying long."

After fidgeting with her fingers for a while, she gathers her courage and speaks up. "Maybe I can save you a dance?"

"I can't promise anything." Loki says looking at her over her shoulder.

"I know." She says with a small sigh. "Just thought I'd put it out there."

"Take care. You know where to find me if anything happens."

With that he disappears, just like he usually does when he visits. His visits were always brief and to the point, but not unwelcomed by her, though sometimes she wishes she could talk to him longer. He had helped her so much, and yet, she feels like she hasn't done much for him.

"Are you ready?" Natasha's voice calls out on the other side of the door breaking her out of her thoughts.

"Yeah. I'll be down in a second." Vanessa shouts back, quickly putting on her shoes before she joins the others.

Shaking her head, she pushes her thoughts aside, deciding to focus on the special night ahead.

Everyone had been waiting for this moment for so long, the least they can do is enjoy the occasion.