1: Back to the routine...kind of

BACK TO THE ROUTINE...KIND OF...

Heavy breaths escape my mouth as my feet move at a constant, rhythmical pace. The scent of sweat mixed with the sound of footsteps the only thing I'm focused on as I run on the treadmill, pushing myself to run faster with every minute that passes.

It would be nice to say that I'm doing this because I want to be healthy, or to improve my stamina to help my training, but that's not it either.

The truth is quite different. Ever since the incident with Hydra, the Avengers have been keeping a close eye on me. The whole thing shook the team pretty badly, especially because no one saw it coming and we weren't prepared for it.

During the first few weeks, the team took turns keeping guard, an Avenger staying by my side every night just in case of another attack. Once things seemed to calm down, they moved to staying outside my room, until eventually everyone went back to their rooms, checking in every once in a while to make sure I'm okay.

It took a lot of pleading and 'I'm fine's' to convince them that it wasn't necessary for them to be next to me twenty four seven. For now, they are trying their best to continue with their routine but I can tell that they are still worried.

Now, with the exception of the tests Bruce and Tony keep running to make sure nothing has changed, my daily routine is almost back to normal. Every morning, Steve, Bucky, Sam and I for a run, and afterwards I continue to train with the other Avengers.

So far, nothing has changed, but we can't be completely sure about what Hydra did. Especially since I can't seem to remember much of what they did. For now it seems like experimentation is out of the question, but we are still taking precautions just in case.

The machine slowly dies down as the treadmill slows down until it comes to a complete stop, a heavy breath resonating as I unplug my headphones, hand reaching for the water bottle Bruce offers as I step away.

Muttering a 'thanks', I give him a small nod and chug down the bottle as I sit down on a bench, a towel draped on my shoulders as the science bros discuss the results.

After a few minutes of comparing charts and analyzing results, Bruce makes his way towards me, giving me a small smile as he reads the results.

"Your vitals are stable." Bruce says as he reads the charts. "No signs of any anomalies so far. You're good for today."

"Everything seems to be normal for now." Tony says.

"Good." I say managing to give them a small smile, raising a brow as they exchange a glance. "Is there anything else?"

"Not really." Tony says. "The results have been stable for a while now but we still need to run some tests."

Letting out a soft groan, I lay on the bench and look at Tony. "Haven't you run enough tests?"

"Sorry kiddo." Tony says gently patting my shoulder. "You can never be too careful."

"I know." I say sitting back up.

"The good news is," Bruce starts, "that since the results have been stable so far, we can space out the testing to every other month instead of every other week." He finishes offering a sympathetic smile.

"That's good." I say returning the smile, collecting my things as I prepare to leave.

"I know it's tiring, but hang in there kid." Tony says.

"Thanks." I say giving him a smile. "For everything."

"Of course kiddo. You're part of our dysfunctional, weird family kiddo." Tony says ruffling my hair.