Chapter 15

Toni lifts her head to check in with Shelby after confessing what she really wants. Her.

She said it. Out loud. I want you.

This shocks Shelby, but she doesn't know what to believe.

"You don't mean that." Shelby says. "You're drunk and you're not thinkin' clearly."

Almost as if it had been rehearsed, Toni second guesses herself, she shakes her head like she's mad at herself. She storms past Shelby, her feet hitting the ground hard.

"Yeah, you're probably right." Toni mutters.

Shelby's shoulders stiffen as Toni passes. Unable to read this hot and cold reaction from her.

Toni stops at the doorway. The gravity of the night hitting her all at once. The past 48 hours. The threat. The business card. The kiss.

Toni bursts back into the bathroom and smashes her lips into Shelby's. Hoping that the kiss would save her, and by the blissful feeling, Toni thinks it could. The kiss is full of pain, too. Toni squeezes her eyes harder, she inhales Shelby. Her scent, her minty breath, the aroma of coconut that follows her.

Shelby relaxes into the kiss for a moment. But only for a fleeting moment. She steps away from Toni, putting her hand on Toni's shoulder, suspending the kiss. Shelby's breathing hard.

"You're still drunk." Shelby spits out. "I can't..." she whispers, a bit kinder. "I only want it if it's real. If you're here." Shelby points to Toni's head, clearly signaling Toni's state of mind.

Toni nods, disappointed. Shelby's eyes fall to the ground.

Toni replies "Let's try. When I'm not buzzed."

This time it's Shelby who looks up in surprise. She breathes out a smile, a sigh of relief, of release.

"Deal." Shelby adds, nodding.

Toni crashes into her, enveloping the blonde in a tight, swaying, long hug. It's almost more intimate than the kiss itself. Her arms are strong, tensed. Like she's holding onto Shelby for dear life.

Hell, she might. Shelby's all she's got right now. The geographically closest friend. The only person in this town who knows her. Who understands her. The girl who keeps her secrets. And she keeps hers. The girl who defends her from her father.

Toni leans her head into the crook of Shelby's neck. She can feel her pulse. It's faster than usual, heightened probably by... well, everything. Toni exhales once, her warm breath causing Shelby to shiver. And Shelby clutches Toni tighter, scrunching a handful of Toni's shirt into her fist.

Now, it's Shelby who is breathing hard. The nerves still settling, but she finally has this girl in her arms. The way it should be. The way she's wanted it to be. And she won't lose her. Not like before.

Shelby smiles a bit harder, "And it's cute that you think you're only buzzed. You should have seen yourself."

Toni sucks in a breath, embarrassed. "Don't remind me."

"Pinin' after me really is a full body experience for you," Shelby flirts.

Toni scoffs out a laugh, "I was not pining. I don't fucking pine."

Shelby shrugs, and gives that coy smile that Toni's seen so many times before. But this one? There's something different about this one. Like there's this new agreement between them.

And it's nice. And maybe I do pine, Toni thinks.

Toni ponders that thought for a moment then looks back at Shelby, her eyebrows starting to furrow, "Now what?"