Chapter 34

Toni and Shelby leave the graveyard. Toni turns the key and pulls away. Shelby watches out the side view mirror, her eyes glued on Becca's headstone. She keeps looking as the yellow flowers get smaller. She smiles to herself, not exactly a happy one, more like a wistful smile. She leans her forehead on the window and lets out a breath.

"Thank you," Shelby says.

Toni nods, but still feels a little guilty that she made Shelby do this. She looks over at the blonde, checking in, but Shelby is already looking at her because she's checking in on Toni, too. They both laugh at this. Toni nods again, but more confidently this time, and steers with her one hand, foot perched on the seat. Things are getting back to normal. Their normal.

The drive back is completely uneventful. Red lights, stop signs. They listen to some music that Shelby doesn't know, but she enjoys it. She rolls down the window when they get back into town, it would've been too windy and loud on the highway. Shelby drapes her arm out the window, enjoying the heat from the bright and sunny day.

As Toni drives Shelby home after their heart to heart, she lets the words from their conversation ring in her head. They pass a playground and Toni thinks of the playplace in Shelby's backyard. Her eyes linger on the slides and swings.

But she sees something and stomps on the brakes.

And Shelby lurches forward, she braces an arm on the dash. Surprised and annoyed, Shelby complains, "Okay, seriously, you can't keep doin' that to me," Shelby says. "From now on, I'll drive."

Toni doesn't hear Shelby and instead looks through the windshield at a park. Fully focused and fully ignoring Shelby.

Because Martha is sitting on a bench, Bernice is trying to corral the dogs, but is failing miserably. The dogs think it's a game of chase and Bernice is most certainly losing. They let her chase them.

Toni pulls off the street immediately and parks sideways into a normal spot, taking up two spaces, and hops outs—leaving Shelby in the dust. She runs. The park is a little farther than Toni thought it was from the street, but she's just so relieved to see any familiar faces. Moving to new towns has always been difficult for her because of that.

In Toni fashion, she sneaks up behind Martha to surprise her. Toni holds her breath and covers Martha's eyes with a smile. But before Toni can say a single word, Marty swings her backpack at the oncoming stranger, "Get away!" Martha yells.

"Woah, hey!" Toni holds her hands up, seeing a glint of fear in Martha's eyes.

"Toni?" Martha spins to face her, with surprise and cautiousness. Like she needs confirmation.

"Yeah! It's just me, chill!"

Marty relaxes at the sight of Toni and opens her arms, Toni jumps into them and embraces her tightly. Like she'd lose her if she let go. Martha senses this. So, she moves and looks Toni in the eyes, "Is everything alright?"

Toni hesitates, trying to rack her brain with an excuse. Martha finds the answer as she looks over Toni's shoulder. Her eyes land on Shelby who is waiting outside the car. She notices the blonde had decided to get out of the car, but not yet follow behind Toni. Martha looks back at Toni, sees her more-than-usual puffy eyes. Martha sighs. "You'll be okay, Toni," Martha reassures, not even knowing the situation.

And Toni knows that Marty doesn't need to know the situation to make her feel better. She dives back into the arms of her best friend. Especially after the day she's had, which started with a cold-shouldered Shelby, an intimidating Dave, and finished with the trip to the graveyard. It's been a long day. There couldn't be a better ending than being with Marty.