Chapter 47

AN: All of your guesses were wrong!

It's Jobeth.

She's standing at the front door. Toni blinks a few times to make sure her eyes aren't deceiving her. But Jobeth's right there. Toni looks past her, the minivan parked in front of the house. Her eyes flick back to the woman. She's alone. No kids at her hips. No Shelby. No Dave.

And that can only mean one thing: she's been sent to collect. Toni's in trouble.

Toni immediately clears her throat and stutters out, "Jobeth? Um, h—hi." She fishes out a rehearsed apology. "I know. I should've called first or asked Dave for permission." Toni groans, "Fuck." Her eyes widen, spinning herself farther with swear words. She squeezes her eyes shut, so mad at herself. "Shit, sorry."

"No, don't be sweetie—"

Sweetie.

Toni scoffs, feeling her guard lock back into place at the sound of that word. She's never trusted anyone who called her that. Either they wanted something from her or that was the last time she saw them. She mutters, "Okay, we can go now. I'll just text Martha or something. I'm sorry again, I'm sure he's really upset—"

Jobeth's eyes flick to Martha who is standing at the bottom of the steps with a worried face, watching the interaction. Jobeth responds in a chipper voice, "Well isn't she just the jokester?" Jobeth enters into the house and makes her way past Toni.

Toni whips her head around, trying to keep her eyes on the quick and nimble Jobeth who has already made it to the dining room. This is when she notices she's carrying an armful of disposable foil trays. The ones people use for turkeys and sides and casseroles. Or so she's seen in the movies.

Toni shoots a glance at an equally confused Martha and mouths to her, "Did you...?"

But Martha shakes her head and tracks Jobeth as she makes a beeline to the kitchen.

Toni opens her mouth, but her voice isn't brave enough to say it. So it comes out delayed, a moment later, "Is Shelby coming?"

Jobeth keeps walking, expecting them to follow her, "Oh no, the girl's got bible study. Now where are these Blackburn black bean tacos? That's sure a tongue twister, isn't it?" She laughs to herself, fully enjoying her own company.

Toni, after a staggered moment, follows behind Jobeth to the kitchen, with Martha on her heels. She stares at the ground trying to figure out what is going on. Shelby's at bible study. Why is Jobeth even here? Toni asks herself. Martha and Toni both poke their heads into the kitchen. And watch the scene unfold.

Bernice looks over her shoulder, finally hearing the commotion which was previously being drowned out by the kitchen fan. Her eyes light up as she spots Jobeth, a smile spreads on her face, "Finally, you're here!" Bernice exclaims with open arms.

Jobeth juggles the trays and her purse, she sets everything down on the counter and hugs Bernice. Toni and Martha look at each other and then back at the parents.

"You two know each other?" Toni coughs out.

"Well, we sure do now!" Jobeth says with a laugh, "This maybe be our first time meetin' in person, but after our hour long call last night, I feel like I already know the woman!"

"Last night?" Martha asks, giving Toni a moment to try to put any of this together. Toni shrugs to Martha, coming up empty.

"Yes, to talk about the specifics for tonight's dinner?" Jobeth says cautiously to the girls. She looks from Bernice back to the dumbfounded Toni and Martha. She smirks.

Toni swears she sees Jobeth smirk. Her own eyebrows furrow. Like she's not in on the joke. Like no one has told her the full story.

Jobeth sucks in a breath and turns back to Bernice, "Well, it sure seems like we've been Parent-Trapped, Bernice."