The New Kid

(Your POV)

You roll your suitcase behind you as you walk up to the school. Coming through the gates, you glance around the campus.

There were some students here and there, but anything seemed like too many.

Picking up the pace, you speedwalk to the doors of the main building. You almost considered going away altogether.

I mean, you were just placed into a school where a predation happened.

It was almost like the system was taunting you to make a bad choice.

You shake your head and push through the doors.

The principal glances up from the chair he's sitting on in the lobby. He smiles.

"You must be (Y/N)!" He says, getting up and walking over to you. He holds out a hand for you to shake. "I'm so glad you can join us!"

Hesitantly, you grasp it. He shakes it heartily.

"Now, there is just one thing I need to ask before you can settle in." He says, letting go of your hand. Thank god. you think, putting your hand in your hoodie pocket.

"We are a bit full on dorms, so you can either go in with the other foxes, or share with the more doggish canines. Which would you rather?"

"Um..." You say, not sure why this mattered. "I guess I'll go in with the doggish people. It couldn't hurt."

"Wonderful!" He handed me a piece of paper with a dorm 'address' written on it. "This is where you'll be staying then. Feel free to ask me anything if you need!"

Yeah, yeah. You thought, taking the paper and walking off. I'll remember to ask if I'm allowed to shower in the fountain or whatever.

Dragging yourself through the campus, you saw people glance at you. You put up your hood despite the heat, and slouched over slightly.

It was your fur and late transfer, you could tell.

You could only imagine what they were gossiping about.

"Check out the snowball coming in four months late."

"Why is he wearing that? It's 70 degrees out!"

"Did you see his fur? This isn't the tundra."

The rumors weren't here yet, but you knew they were bound to come.

Your imagination stopped when you came to the door of your dorm.

You glanced at the paper one last time, double checking, then crumpled it up and put it in your pocket.

You knocked, then waited for someone to open the door.

You heard shuffling, then a click. The door opened. You were greeted by a golden lab looking back at you, smiling widely.

"Hello! Who are you?" He asked. His voice was cheery too.

"I'm (Y/N)." You say. "I just transferred here. The principal told me to come here."

"Oh! I didn't know we were gonna get a new roommate! Come on in, sorry about the mess!" He invited you in, opening the door wider. You stepped in. "Hey guys, (Y/N) is gonna be a new roommate!"

Oh no, you didn't need this.

Almost all at once, you were mobbed by dogs sniffing and looking at you. Asking me things that you couldn't hear. Swishing tails adding to the volume. Complete chaos.

"Hey!" The golden dog shouted, giggling. "Give him some space!"

"Are you a fox?" A gray dog with fur covering his eyes asked, scratching the side of his face. You nodded.

"Why did you come here so late?" A chihuahua on his shoulder asked.

"I'm a foster kid." I say. They all nod in understanding.

"Cool! Anyway, you should probably get your uniform on, breakfast starts soon! Oh, and I'm Jack by the way." The golden dog says. He suddenly gasps and his tail goes super speed. "I can't wait to introduce you to Legosi! You'll like him!"

You feel yourself smile. Jack's funny to watch.

"Okay." You say, opening your suitcase and pulling out your uniform. "Gimme a sec."

(Legosi's POV)

I sat at a table alone, eating eggs. Well, poking them.

I can't stop thinking about the incident last night. That rabbit...my instincts...it was all so strange.

I feel bad for hurting her.

And I've been twitchy ever since.

"Hey, Legosi!" I hear Jack. I look up and see a white fox standing next to him. They both have trays with their breakfast. "Guess what? We've got a new roommate! This is (Y/N)!"

I stare at him for a second. Taking in his appearance.

"Hello." I say. Wow, why can't I stop staring? That's rude, right?

"Hi." He says back. Jack sits next to me, and (Y/N) sits across from me.

I'm still looking.

"Um..." He says, drooping one ear slightly. "Are you going to stare at me the whole time we eat or...?"

I shake my head, snapping out of it.

"Sorry." I say. I look back down at my food and poke it some more. He laughs.

"So, (Y/N)!" Jack says between bites. "Were you planning on joining any clubs?"

(Y/N) looks up.

"Clubs?" He asks. I twirl an ear, drooping it slightly. "This school has clubs? What are they?"

"Well..." Jack says, thinking for a second. "I know for a fact we have a drama club, Legosi's part of it! I think there's a gardening club, the school newspaper, an art club, and so on and so forth. You should join one!"

(Y/N) continues to eat, not looking at either one of us for a little.

"I dunno." He says, slightly hunching over his food. I notice his shoulders tense and arms straighten, making him look nervous.

"I don't want to get too attached in case I leave again." His ears droop ever so slightly.

"Well, why don't you enjoy your time here now instead of waiting for it to end?" Jack asks, throwing an arm around his neck and pulling him into a half-hug. "Right, Legosi?"

I realize I'm staring at (Y/N) again. I blink then nod my head.

"Yeah, that's something you should probably do." I say. Jack smiles widely.

"See? Even the zone-y wolf agrees with me!" He says, chuckling. "What do you want to try first?"

(Y/N) didn't say anything. He just sat there, looking at nothing. Like I do.

"You mean...they'll let me?" He asks. "I mean, I can't promise I'll stay for the year...you sure they'd still let me onto something?"

"Even if you were on a club for just a day, they'd be glad to have you!" Jack says, wagging his tail. "Whaddya say, pleaseeee? Just to make more friends?"

I see (Y/N) slightly crack a smile. It looks nice.

I like his smile.

"Okay..." He says, slumping down a little.

"Yay!!" Jack exclaims, getting a few weird looks from the people around us. He ends up standing up on his chair, his foot on the table triumphantly and still gripping (Y/N)'s neck with his arm. He looks uncomfortable.

"Jack..." He says, pulling himself out and giggling slightly. I feel my tail start to wag.

His laugh is cute.

"So, Legosi." He says, turning to me. "Think you could get me into the drama club?"