Rehearsal

(this involves some taekwondo jargon so if you don't know what certain attacks are, just look them up. yes, i know this takes place in japan and not korea but this is the only martial arts i know so cut me some slack please.)

"Mmmmnnngghhh..." (Y/N) groans. I look down at him. He's ended up on his stomach this time, bo staff 8 feet away from him and his patience slowly disintegrating.

"You almost had it...that time." I say, holding out my hand for him to take so I can help him up.

Instead, he gets on his knees first and massages his jaw. Then he rubs his neck, drops his arm, and hangs his head.

"Why does bo staff have to be so hard?" He asks, finally taking my hand. I help him up, then walk over and grab his staff for him.

"I never wrote the script." I say. "This is his what the Fire Spirit does in the play."

It was two weeks until opening night, and we had learned that the Fire Spirit doesn't use a sword, but a bo staff.

And unfortunately, it wasn't really translating well for (Y/N).

But he was determined, and would ask me to help him out in the drama room whenever we were both free.

Right now, he was trying to attempt a tornado full moon kick combined with a long hit. But either his tail would get tangled on his legs, the staff would slip out of his hands, or his footing would be wrong so he wouldn't get any momentum.

"Can't I just use nunchucks or something?" (Y/N) groans, taking the staff and twirling the tip absentmindedly.

"I'm not sure if Louis would appreciate that change very much." I say.

"In a real fight, Adler would be at a disadvantage if the Fire Spirit had nunchucks because they can go around his sword." I explain, trying to give visual reference with my hands.

(Y/N) nods, but looks down at the staff.

"Do you think Louis gave me this role to make himself look good when I mess up the bo staff?" He asks, holding the staff with two hands.

I widen my eyes, surprised.

"Also, having an arctic fox as the Fire Spirit?" He smiles, but it doesn't look happy. "The more I think about it, everywhere I go I'm just a joke."

"What're you talking about?" I ask. (Y/N) puts his staff down and leans on it, still having that weird smile.

"Oh, nothing." He says, lowering this head. His tail starts to droop, too. "I do this. I realize how mundane I am to the world from time to time. It's fine, though. I know I'm right. Nobody's corrected me, and nobody's told me it wasn't true."

I stare at him. His ears lower slowly, he leans more and more into the staff until his full weight is on the poor piece of wood.

How could he feel so worthless?

So sad?

He's one of the best people I've met, he's not unwanted.

How could he feel that way?

"What do you mean?" I say. I start walking over to him. "Why do you feel like that? You're my friend, aren't you?"

He makes a noise like "heh", and leans a little more and ends up falling to the floor. I rush over to him to make sure he didn't get hurt.

He didn't seem to notice.

"I'm a foster kid, remember?" He says, starting to chuckle. I see tears starting to form, too. "I'm basically moved all over the country because nobody wants me. It's how I got to Japan in the first place, and it's how it was my whole life."