Fear Is Understandable

You and Haru sat in the car surrounded by lions, shaking and not daring to move or speak.

They stared back. They observed. They watched. It was unnerving.

"One's a fox." One lion said finally. "Will boss be okay with that?"

"Gimme a break, you know he likes exotic meat. This'll be even more tasteful." Another responds. You shudder.

"The rabbit looks good, too." One sitting beside you says. "I wish I'd get a little bit."

You felt Haru press onto your left arm a little more, and you reached to her with your right, and gripped her's gently but firmly.

You glanced down at her. She had this mask of bravery on her face, one that you knew she wore a lot.

But you could feel her heartbeat pounding. She wasn't calm. Neither were you.

"D'you think we'll be okay?" Haru breathed to you. You hesitated, then rested your head on her's.

"I don't know." You whispered back.

(Legosi's POV)

"It's definitely her's!"

"They're both missing..."

"Shishigumi? What's that?"

"Isn't he the one who was in the play?"

I'm attracted to the crowd gathering around the Mayor. They were talking about people who were missing...or something.

People part the way for me, but I'm moderately interested. I just want to know what's happening.

"Alright, alright!" The lion shouts to the students. "This will be sorted out, I promise, they are coming back to us soon!"

Everyone seemed satisfied, and left it at that.

I didn't, I stayed. I wanted to know what was going on.

"Hey..." I began to a hippopotamus passing by. She stopped to look at me. "Do you know what's going on?"

"Oh, some people went missing." She replied, a wide-eyed and frightened look on her face. "A dwarf rabbit and (Y/N) the arctic fox, they went missing but a note was left behind by a gang called the Shishigumi. I don't know about you, but I want to go back to school!"

She rushed away, leaving me.

I stayed standing still. I didn't— couldn't, move.

They're gone.

Haru. (Y/N).

Gone.

I stiffen up, standing up straight, clenching my fists, baring my teeth.

I have to get them back.

I will get them back.

I turn and see Louis walking with his head down, staring at the sidewalk. I walk over to him from behind and grab his arm.

"(Y/N) and Haru's been kidnapped." I say with urgency. "By a gang...the Shishigumi. We have to go after them—"

"We can't." Louis says sharply. He pulls his arm out of my grip, leaving me surprised. "There's nothing we can do."

He starts walking away from me.

Anger bubbles up inside my chest.

"What?" I say, my voice getting more growly. "How could you say that when—"

I'm interrupted with a hard punch to the face.

On the ground, I look up at the deer in surprise.