The Market's Doctor

"Mmmnngghhh..." I groan. I can't move my jaw. My wrists are restrained.

I open my eyes and whip my head around, alert.

Where's (Y/N)? Where am I? Why am I chained up?

I notice I'm wearing a metal muzzle. My wrists are chained in handcuffs, which are attached through a long chain to a metal pole behind me.

Looking to my left, (Y/N) is chained up the same way. He's also unconscious.

"Mmmm!" I try and shout to him. He's about 6 or so feet away from me. I can't tell if he can hear me or not.

Out of nowhere a door slams open. I snap my head up to see who opened it.

A large, muscular panda with a scar on one of his eyes walks through the door. He looks like he's been in a fight or two.

He walks over to me and pulls out a heartbeat-listener (or whatever they're called, doctors have them and they listen to your heart with them and I forgot what they're called) and presses the metal disc to my chest.

Listening for a second, he speaks.

"You're awfully calm given your situation." He says. His voice is deep and slightly raspy. "I'm going to take your muzzle off now. Bite me, and you'll regret it."

He gently eased the muzzle off my head, and immediately I started shouting at him.

"What is this?! Why is my friend—"

He cut me off with a hard punch to the face, making me turn my head and I kept it there.

"Don't give me attitude, understand?" The panda said with a cold tone. "I won't have any of my patients treating me like any other meal."

"Meal...what?" I ask, daring to turn my head to look at him.

"Don't play dumb, wolf. It doesn't work on me." He says. "So, what were you doing passed out in the Black Alley Market?"

"Oh..." I say. "I guess I had...a panic attack? I was overwhelmed."

He scribbled something on a piece of paper, then looked back up at me.

"And your friend?" He gestures to (Y/N). I glanced over at him.

"I don't even know why he's unconscious..." I stare at him, looking at his closed eyes and scared expression, even though he was asleep. "Do you know if he's okay? Is he hurt?"

"Woah, slow down." The panda says. "I found him passed out next to you. His face was wet, and so was the floor, so I can only assume he was crying."

I flinched.

After I passed out, he probably had a full-on breakdown.

I feel bad.

I'm sorry, (Y/N).

"Mind explaining to me why he was crying right next to you?" He said with a hard tone, like he suspected I did something to him.

I looked back up at him, a little surprised.

"I didn't do anything to him, if that's what you think." I say. "He's...never known the Black Alley Market existed."

The panda gave me a quizzical look.

"He's a foster kid. He's been moved around too many times to learn anything like...this." I explain. The panda scribbled something else on his paper and looked back up at me.

"I'll need to clarify most of this with him when he wakes up, for sure." He says. I nod in understanding. "Keep going with your story."

"Well, we were with some friends and we came across the market by accident." I continue. "And (Y/N)...he just started breaking down. He knew about predations, sure, but he never knew that...herbivore corpses could be...purchased."