The Final Performance

"Do you smell that?" Legosi asked you. You looked up at him.

"Can...you be more specific?" You ask. He glances around, sniffing.

"It's like..." He sniffs a little more. "It's like...a rabbit. But...mixed with a lot of iron..."

He suddenly gets tense when he looks at Bill. He walks over to him and sniffs him more closely.

You watch Legosi look up at him, then glare at the tiger.

"Bill...what do you have?" He asked in a deep, growly voice. Bill suddenly looked rather uncomfortable.

"I-I need to go to the bathroom!" He said before bolting out of the stage area. Legosi followed after him, leaving you.

"Wait! You're both on in five minutes!" Someone shouted after them. You started to move towards their exit, but was stopped.

"And you're on soon too, so don't leave us hanging like them!" They said. You understood.

It wouldn't be good if three actors were missing from their cues.

Soon Legosi and Bill came back. Legosi looked very agitated. You came over to him to check up on him.

"Hey, what's going on with you?" You asked. He didn't look down at you. He just kept glaring at Bill.

"Bill has rabbit blood." Was all he whispered to you. He couldn't hear you gasp as he walked up to the curtain, ready for his cue.

You looked at him, his silhouette blocking the bright stage-lights.

You could sense his anger, and wondered what he would do.

(Legosi's POV)

I stepped forward, coming into the light a little more. I saw Bill give his line, and my cue.

I couldn't contain my anger any longer.

I ran onstage, charging at Bill. He was speaking a line, but he was cut off by me punching him square in the face.

He flew back with my force, and the reaper mask came off his face too.

I ran over to him and pinned him down in between my legs, and punched him over and over again.

Every time I did, an image of my friend flashed across my face.

Eventually, Haru's image morphed into (Y/N)'s. I wasn't too surprised, they looked very similar.

My thoughts became more and more frantic and frustrated.

The rabbit blood made me think about if Haru got hurt. Or (Y/N).

I punched Bill harder.

(Y/N).

Another punch.

Haru.

Another punch.

(Y/N).

A burst of frantic punches.

(Y/N).

A punch didn't land. I looked down in surprise to see Bill holding my fist.

"That's enough, Legosi." He whispered, a nasty black eye forming on his face.

He stood up and pulled me up with him. I was pulled into a hug...well it looked like a hug.

"I admire your determination, but I will not be pulled down that easily." He said to the audience.

I felt his claws slowly sink into my back, tearing my skin.

"From a carnivore to a carnivore..." He whispered as he slowly and painfully ripped my skin.

"I give you stripes to match my own." He finished, but held me up. "Now, drop to the ground."

The pain in my back was so intense, I did anyway.

"You poor soul." He said louder, to the audience. "I will free you of this humiliating existence you've created for yourself."

He pulled out his sword. I watched him, afraid.

I knew that the 'props' were all real weapons.

He pulled it back, cocking his arm in a position that was ready to slice through the air and into me.

"For nobody crosses the Grim—"

He was cut off.

Before I knew it, he was on the ground. I looked around to see who on earth was my savior.

"You cannot fool me, impostor." (Y/N) says, pointing his bo staff at Bill. I stared at him.

"Us spirits know more of the true balance of death and existence than you realize." He spoke again, stepping closer towards Bill and holding the tip of the staff to his throat.

"And you're the most pathetic Reaper I've ever seen next to Alder."

The audience was cheering for him. Bill was at a loss of any feeling other than surprise it seemed.

"Now, begone, imposter." (Y/N) said, slightly jabbing the staff forward and making Bill flinch.

Slowly, Bill stood up. Once he was fully upright, was scowling at both me and (Y/N). His sharp fangs showed, too.

But he turned around and ran offstage, humiliated.

"The purest of us all can see them." (Y/N) said, still in character.

"I'm glad you've proven yourself, friend." He held his bo staff behind him and held out his hand to me.

"Now, let's leave this place, shall we?"

I looked at him for a minute.

I was...starstruck.

The bright stage lights illuminated his snowy fur, making him look like he was glowing.

Underneath his hood, his eyes appeared to be brighter compared to his red and orange costume, standing out from his perfect face.

He had a look of friendship that I...I loved.

And so, I took his hand and he pulled me up.

"Don't let the audience see your back." He whispered to me as I stood up. "Follow my lead."

I nodded, still staring at him.

"Together we can rid this world of those impostors, brother. One day there will be no deception." He says in character, turning towards the audience.

"One day." I say. I glance over offstage and see Bill being mobbed by a silent yet angry crowd.

He's staring at us. Scowling still.

I see (Y/N) puff out his chest slightly, making a sort of dramatic pose. I imitate him a little, but I'm still focused on Bill.

"One day."