Following the white rabit

-august-
Sometimes I forget what she was like. I forget her beauty, I forget her grace, I forget her passion.

But then it all floods back, I suddenly remember her and I fall in love all over again. When will this circle of love collapse.

I was walking back to my locker before detention and saw Bailey sitting on the floor in the hallway with her nose shoved in a book.

I skipped across the halls and stood over her.

"Helloooo." I chimed, placing a smile on my lips and kindness in my eyes.

She looked up at me and I saw the coldness that lined her exterior soften a bit at my presence.

"Hello." She said. Closing her book and standing up.
Brushing off her dress as she stood. Clearly not suspecting to see anyone here right now which explains her sudden shortage of ice.

I brushed past her and to my locker taping my hand on her arm as I passed. I unlocked my locker and grabbed my backpack out, neatly shoving all my books into the bag and turning back to Bailey while closing my locker. All of this was done quickly and with no words.

As I turned back to her for the first time I noticed how much shorter than me she is. The top of her head met my collar bone making me laugh slightly as I stood awkwardly looking at her.

She furrowed her eyebrows ever so slightly then turned around and began to walk away in the direction of the library.

I quickly caught up, slightly bumping our arms as I met up at her side. She looked up at me quickly then right back down.

"I don't know why you pretend you hate me." I said. "It's obvious you're just as curious about me as I am to you." I breathed.

She stopped in her tracks staring straight ahead. She quickly whipped her head in my direction. It made me step back a little.

"I get that I'm the new prodigy for every guy at this damn school, but just because I let you sit with me or I glanced in your direction does not mean I'm suddenly obligated to give you my time of day." She hissed.

All traced of my normal cheery self long gone.

"I'm not just some thing you all can obtain with enough people points" she continued "so stop acting like I owe you anything. God you and every other guy at this school practically fell at my feet today and I didn't even glance in any other guys direction." She chuckled a little bit.

I would be lying if I said I focused on anything other than her saying she only looked at me.

"I-I I'm sorry. I didn't- I wasn't trying to make you feel like I thought you owe me anything. I guess I never considered that you might not like every guy swooning over you." I said holding a sympathetic expression on my face.

I guess I'm kinda considered cute here, but not like she is. She's a goddess amongst mortals. I'm simply a mortal amongst mortals, just with a slightly better appearance.

Kindness flooded her face all of a sudden. Her mean girl act from before had been removed.

She walked over to me and held her arms out in an invitation to a hug. I shrunk down and wrapped my arms around her waist-one of my big hands could cross almost her whole back- and she placed her arms around my neck.

"Thank you." She whispered into my chest.

"For what?" I asked.

"For showing sympathy even when you don't know how it feels. For saying your sorry even if you don't mean it." She whispered before pulling out of the hug and walking away.

But I did mean it. I meant every word I said, and the facts she doubted me made me see her in a new light. A softer, kinder, more natural light.

I wanted her to see I meant it. I wanted her to see me too.