Chapter 7

April 8, 2007

            The day was sunny and a bit humid for his taste. Adam walked around the fair cautiously. The place was crowded, which was a bad idea because the fairgrounds itself were not big enough, it was made for a few hundred people, not the whole city. The scent of fried chicken and body odor filled the air and the place seemed to be going through a dust storm blinding everyone who came across it, people didn’t know how to lift their feet when they walked, Adam thought. From the distance, he saw Ana Marie, she was easy to spot, he saw her way of leaning her body as she spoke to her friends. She would place her hand on that person’s shoulder for a millisecond to let them know that person had her full attention, and she would make great eye contact, not wanting to miss a word they were saying. He watched her laugh and talk happily. She was so intriguing to him. She laughs one time and looks around her as one of her two friends was speaking, until she saw him. He felt his heart speed when she started walking towards him even though he refused to admit it.

            “Hi, what do you think so far?” she asked as she stood in front of him and touches his shoulder.

            “It’s different.”

            She laughed. “I know, it is a bit packed. But we don’t care,” she waved off. “Have you gotten on any of the rides?”

            Adam was caught by surprise, he detested the rides. “I am not a big fan of anything that lifts a person to a dangerous height.”

            “Oh, so you are scared of heights?”

            “No, I just don’t like the feeling they give my stomach,” he lied, he had a phobia for heights.

            “That is called an adrenaline rush. I would think you enjoy those considering what you do for a living.”

            “It’s definitely different,” he replied, making her laugh once again.

            Ana Marie started looking around her like before but with concerned eyes. “Are you searching for someone?” he asked but he knew she was.

            “No . . . well, yeah, my boyfriend. We were supposed to meet like two hours ago but I have no idea where he could be.”

            Adam didn’t reply. It was obvious that her boyfriend had done things like that before, she seemed disappointed but accustomed to it at the same time . And for that reason, he already disliked him.

            “So, want to go to a less crowded spot?” she asked after a long pause.

            They started walking away from the middle of the fairgrounds towards the trailers which were positioned behind the pandemonium happening within the rides and the vendors. They walked quietly but it was unbelievably comfortable. He looked at her as she pushed her hair back and wiped her forehead with the back of her hand, her skin was perfect. It had a warm tone, making her seem as if she was being kissed by the sun.

            “So for how long will you be staying here?” she asked as they found a well shaded spot.

            “Two weeks, hopefully.” As he replied he could see a flash of something going through her eyes, it could have been surprise or disappointment, but it left as soon as it appeared.     “Two weeks? That’s all?”

            He nods. “I think it’s more than enough.”

             She looks out in the distance, as she takes a deep breath. By the way she was rubbing her hands together, he could tell she was getting worried for her boyfriend, she was probably thinking the worse. And for that reason, he disliked him even more.