Chapter 15

July 29, 2012

            Adam sits in front of the screen, wearing a headset, he could hear everything that Ana Marie could hear. Brian stands beside him, staring at the surveillance cameras. James watched as everything began to take place. Ana Marie had arrived to Velez’ five before seven. He could see the cars being parked by the Valet parking. Guests approached the entrance in their expensive outfits. Ana Marie steps out of her car and hands her keys to a boy not more than twenty years of age. Adam saw how he looked at her as he nodded, and a slight feeling of jealousy crossed his mind.

            Ana Marie walks slowly towards the guards in the front door. “Name please,” the man in black suit asks.

            “Ana Marie Cain.”

            He looks down at the clipboard before him and then nods. “I just need to check your purse if you don’t mind.”

            “Not at all.” She hands him her purse. Adam turns to look at James, who smiles sheepishly. Adam felt proud of his fiancée.

            “Alright Miss Cain, enjoy the party.”

            “Thank you.” She walks inside and guests were scattered around the room conversing and eating whatever the waiters were offering. He could tell Ana Marie was starting to get nervous for when she steps in the middle of the room, she freezes.

            Adam’s felt goosebumps going down his spine, he needs to let her know she is safe. “You are doing great, Ana Marie,” he whispers into the headset hoping that Brian couldn’t hear him.

            She takes a deep breath and whispers an okay. Adam hears a man’s voice calling her name, when she turns, he sees Velez walking towards her with a wide grin. Perez accompanies him.

            “I am glad you could make it,” he says as he embraces her. “Did you come alone?”

            Ana Marie pulls away. “Yeah, just me. Nice to see you again Vianey.” Perez smiles and nods gently.

            “Come with us Ana. There is someone I’ll like you to meet.”

            Ana Marie is guided through a crowd, most likely successful scientists, Adam recognized half of them. Some were British, other Americans. Half of them were women and he wonders how many of them were actually involved with Paragalis.

            “Jacob Gregory, this is my daughter, Ana Marie. Jacob is a colleague and a loyal friend,” Velez introduced them.

            “Nice to meet you,” Ana Marie says as she shakes the man’s hand. He is a short stout man with a mustache and a pair of glasses overwhelming his round face.

            He smiles and says, “Your father has told me plenty about you. You are a nurse right?”

            “I am. I work in Dr. Gutierrez’s clinic.”

            “Oh, I’ve heard wonders about that place. Your father mentioned that you were going to get your master’s, but you didn’t.”

            “Yeah, well, things happened beyond my control. I couldn’t keep up with school anymore. So, I stayed as a nurse. What about you? Are you a Physicist?”

            Adam notices that while they were speaking, both Velez and Perez left. Why would Velez leave Ana Marie speaking to this man? At the sound of the man’s name, Brian started investigating him in the data base.