Chapter 17

July 30-31, 2012

            Adam sits on his bed staring at nothing.  James and Brian are in the other room making a phone call to the Prime Minister, discussing how the case will end. They both agreed to exclude Adam, everything was painfully close to him. Adam agreed. As he held Ana Marie in his arms as she whimpered, he felt his own tears coming down his face. Ana Marie didn't deserve any of it. He rubs his head strongly, wishing for everything to be over.

            "Here," Jefferson walks in with a mug full of coffee. Adam reaches for it but doesn't drink it. His throat is too tight to drink anything down. He hears Jefferson take a deep breath. "She is a strong woman."

            Adam looks up, he knows she is, but even the strongest person has a limit. "She doesn't deserve any of this."

            "I know—"

            "Do you?" Adam interrupts frustrated. "Her father is a bloody idiot who never cared for her, and who is weak enough to get manhandled incredibly easy by a woman. Her bloody mother, who seemed like she was one of the few she could trust, stabs her on the back." He rubs his eyes trying to calm down. "On the end, she has no one to rely on. Except for you. She has you."

            Jefferson doesn't speak, instead he sits beside him and studies Adam through the mirror. "She also has you," he finally speaks.

            James and Brian walk inside carefully and Adam stands rapidly.

            "We will arrest them tomorrow morning. When they least expect it," James says.

            "Who exactly?" Adam inquired. No one did answer the question if Mary Anne was going to be detained.

            James sighs. "Jose Velez, Karla Perez, and Mary Anne, for being an accomplice."

            Brian continues, "We will disable the security cameras and the phone lines at Velez's. It should be easy enough. We will capture Mary Anne at her work, so that Ana Marie doesn't witness her arrest."

            Adam nods. "And will I be joining you?"

            "Only if you want to," James replies.

            Yes, he did. If things were going to be over, he had to be there to see it through. "I want to."

            So on the next morning, they readied themselves for the mission. They loaded their guns and packed their belongings so they could leave right after. Adam decided to conceal the plan from Ana Marie. She was going through enough, so he will see her after the arrests and inform her. He hadn't thought of how to say good bye when he was to return to London, and he preferred it like that.

            James, Brian and Adam went towards the exit.

            "We will be back for our luggage," James instructed Jefferson, who nods numbly. "And if Miss Cain comes by, tell her that everything will be explained once we finish. Also insist her to go back to her house to rest. We will like for her to be as appeased as possible." 

            Jefferson nods as they get in the car, he waves. "Good luck."

            The car is parked miles away from Velez's driveway. They listen attentively to the commotion happening inside the house through the bugs Ana Marie planted before.

             "What the hell is going on?" asks an angry voice drowning the worried tones in the background.

            "The security systems seemed to have been deactivated," a shaky voice replies.