Chapter 11

April 13, 2007

            Adam was right, he was in big trouble. When Ana Marie left oblivious of what was going to happen with him, Brian’s face turned into a bright tomato color. Adam tried to pretend things were going normal. He went inside his room and took his shirt off, staying in his under shirt, he turned to look at Brian, who had followed him.

            “Did you get to talk to Mary Ann?”

            Brian nodded. “Yes, and you won’t guess who we found too.” Adam simply looked at him. “Jose Antonio Velez.”

            “Velez?”

            “Yes, he got his men to take Jefferson outside and he interrogated me.”

            “Did he now,” Adam said thoughtfully.

            Brian shifts from one foot to another. “He is unto us. I think Gutierrez called him or Mary Ann called him, but we are screwed.”

            “What did he ask you?”

            “What I was doing and why was I here, and,” he paused making sure he had Adam’s full attention, “who was the man his daughter was talking to.”

            Adam froze, Velez obviously had his men watching over her, why didn’t he think of that?

            “He also said that if we don’t leave today, he will call the police.”

            “Oh,” was all he could say, he knew how bad all this was getting. If they had the police on their case, they will be going to prison for they had no permission from the Phoenix police department to take legal manners where Velez was concerned. It would ruin LPI.

            “We have to get out of here— “

            “Let’s arrest him now, I frankly don’t know why we waited for so long,” Adam interrupted holding the gun in his hand.

            “We need a sample of Paragalis, without it we have nothing,” Brian reminded him.

            Adam knew he was right, but he refused to give up. “Then we go get it. Let’s just make them think that we left but we won’t. We’ll get out of Jefferson’s and move into a hotel across town, we will keep a low profile.”

            “Rubbish, you just want to stay for your little girlfriend, you don’t care for this case anymore,” Brian argued, and he couldn’t have been more wrong.

            “You want to just leave, then? Go back with our hands empty?”

            Brian gave it a deep thought. “How will we get the sample?”

            “You can leave that to me,” Adam answered with confidence.

            The plan was this. They moved into a decrepit hotel across town. Luckily they were able to trick Velez’ men who were keeping a close eye on them, making them believe that they left to the airport. They waited a week until everything calmed down. When the week was over, Adam arrived at Velez’ residence and was ready to break in, only to find, that the house was empty. There was no furniture what so ever. Could it be that he fled in the week they were on hold? He wasn’t counting on Velez’ cowardly instincts.

            Adam got in the car furiously; Brian saw that he had nothing.

            “You couldn’t get in?”