Chapter 20

July 31- August 3, 2012

            Ana Marie was in an empty dark room. She no longer felt pain, she looks down at her shirt, it was impeccable. She looks around her, was this heaven? She started walking, only to find out that she was not moving. Then, in front of her, images started to appear, like a projector was going through a movie. She was expecting images of her childhood, or of the happiest days of her life. But instead, it was Adam's face. He looked horrible. He looked like he was in deep pain. And he was crying. She had never seen him cry before, and she felt the strongest purest love around her. What was happening?

            "It's me, Adam." She heard in the still air around her. Like it surrounded her and it echoed three times.

            "Ana Marie, remember when we talked about getting married?" She heard him say.

            "Yes. Yes I remember," she replies, but she didn't let out any sound. "Adam!" she tried screaming, but it was like the moment it left her lips, it crashed against an invisible wall.

            "And you said you wanted three dogs, for the three children we are going to have?"

            Ana Marie gazed in his deep brown eyes. He remembered that.

            "Well, I hope you don't mind, but . . . " The image disappeared and his voice faded out.

            "NO! Adam!" She screamed as loud as she could. "No, please." She drops to her knees, "Please, I want to see him again, Please I want to see him again," she repeated over and over again. Until she grew tired and passed out.

            She feels cold. She opens her eyes slowly, only to find a white ceiling. She squints, as the light was too much to handle. Where is she? When she sees that beside her, there is a bouquet of roses in a familiar base. It was Dr. Gutierrez's base. Whenever patient's family brings flowers, Dr. Gutierrez likes to put them in water right beside their bed. She turns her head slowly. She was at Dr. Gutierrez's clinic. She smiles. She was so glad she wasn't at the depressing basement anymore. Remembering, what she is going to call a dream, she searches for Adam. Only to find him sitting beside her bed, sleeping deeply. She sighs. It's him. She reaches out and caresses his hair. He lifts his head tiredly.

            "Hey," he sits up and holds her hand. "How are you feeling?"

            Ana Marie watches him as he rubs his eyes. He hadn't slept that well. "What happened?"

            Adam shifts in his seat. "You were put in surgery. Do you remember being shot?" Ana Marie nods weakly. "Well, luckily, the bullets didn't hit your organs. You did lose quite an amount of blood. So, Velez and your mother donated the blood you needed."

            "They did?"

            Adam nods. "Right before they were taken to London, I think it was two days ago."

            Ana Marie looks at Adam as he held her hand gently. "Is everything over then?"

            Adam smiles. "Yes. Everything is finally over. We can get started with the wedding preparations," he says as he pulls out her engagement ring from his jacket.

            "I've waited so long to hear those words," she comments as he slides the ring on her finger.

            "I do have to get back to London, fill out some paperwork and all that rubbish."

            Ana Marie mocks annoyance. "So, I'm going to plan the wedding by myself?"

            Adam chuckles. "Yes, sorry. Once I arrive though, I will send you as much as you need."

            "Alright. You are going to have to tell me how many guests you are going to invite."

            He thinks about it. "Not many. My family, Brian and his wife, James and his wife. I believe there will only be, nine guests."

            Ana Marie makes a mental note. "What's going to happen with my mom?"

            Adam drops his gaze. "She is going to make time in London's prison. But since she wasn't really involved in everything, it will only be for a year or so."

            "And my father?"

            "He will have to make more than a year."

            That's what she thought. He killed people in London, and maybe in Colombia too. He had to pay for that. "What about Karla Perez?"

            He exhales sharply. "There was some shots fired, she didn't make it."

            "Oh."

            Adam continues, "Her body was taken to Colombia, yesterday."

            He knew this would make her feel better. At least her family will get to say good bye. She looks at the tubes on her arm, where the serum was put in her body. She can't believe all this is over. She can now, marry Adam, have a normal life with him. Well, as normal a life can be with him, because of his job. She feels him kiss her forehead lovingly. She is going to be a proud private detective's wife.

            "I heard you were awake."

            Ana Marie's eyes brighten. Jorge is on the doorway with a bouquet of flowers in his arms. Dr. Gutierrez is standing behind him. "Jorge!"

            He gives the bouquet to Adam, and leans forward and hugs her.

            "Careful now. She still delicate," Dr. Gutierrez says behind Jorge.

            "Did you perform my surgery?" she asks as Dr. Gutierrez holds a clipboard in his hands.

            He nods. "Yes, I did. Now that I think about it, I did Adam's surgery five years ago also."

            Ana Marie turns to look at Adam. "We have matching bullet scars now."

            Adam chuckles. "I knew you would say something of that matter." He leans forward and kisses her again. "I love you," he whispers.

            Ana Marie smiles, "I love you too."