Chapter 23

August 27, 2012

            As Adam stands in the middle of the living room where the altar is going to be, in his black suit with a green tie, he couldn't help but be amazed at everything. The decorations and the flowers were nicely put, they aren't too much to the point to make him sick but not too less where it looks empty. As the guests started to arrive, he met Mrs. Jones, who, Adam guessed, acted as the mother figure back in the clinic. Dr. Gutierrez came with his attractive wife and Jefferson, in better health, was receiving and sitting each of the guests. Jefferson, Adam noticed, had gained a healthy amount of weight and he looked like he was ready to take on the world as a now retired man. Adam was glad he was better.

            Brian stood by his side as his best man and his brothers, with their wives, all waited in anticipation to see the bride. His father sat alone at the front and the priest waited patiently for the piano music signaling for the ceremony to start.

            Adam kept looking out the hall every five minutes, he started to feel like she was deliberately taking too long. Jefferson hurried down the hall which assured Adam and the priest that the bride was ready.

            The soft piano music, played by his oldest brother's wife, started. And Adam held on his breath. The audience stood as they all looked down the way Adam was with the same excitement. Adam heard the door being open, the whole room held their breath. Adam's mother walked down first, surprising Adam. Behind them, down the aisle, Jefferson in his black suit, and holding his arm his beautiful bride.

            Adam gasped quietly at the sight of her. Her dress was simple, white long dress with a decent neck line not showing too much but still leaving a lot to the imagination. The sleeves of her dress went down her shoulders in a very sensual manner. Her face was immaculate and beautiful, her hair was up leaving a few curls down her face. She was the prettiest bride in the world. He could see his brothers' surprised expressions, they weren't expecting such a beautiful girl, Adam knew. Everyone awed warmly, but Ana Marie's eyes never left him.

            That one look that started it all. After everything, after the attack that night, after the five years in solitude, after the attempt to hide from her, after every single event and action, it was all coming down to this look. Two bullets tore them apart, and two bullets pulled them together, repeated Adam inside his head. And if Adam had to choose to go through the struggle and the pain once again, as he gazes at his wife to be, he realizes the inevitable truth, he would do it all over again. He wouldn't have it any other way.