Chapter 18

July 30-31, 2012

            Ana Marie forced herself to go back to the clinic. There were still seven hours to her shift and she promised she would get back as soon as she could. But she didn't feel like putting a brave face and pretend that things were going perfect. She walks out the elevator with that sinking feeling in her stomach. How could her mother lie to her? How could she?

            She sits on her desk and notices that the waiting room was empty; she couldn't help but feel disappointed. She really needed a distraction right now. Dr. Gutierrez was probably doing his rounds, he will come into his office after giving her some  paperwork she had to do. She placed her head on her desk finding it difficult to breathe. She felt like the world was going down on her. There was so much in her head.

            A sudden noise caught her attention. She looks up trying to see if anything had fallen. She heard it again, it was a sound of someone moaning in pain. But it wasn't coming from the rooms; it was coming from Dr. Gutierrez's office.

            "Doctor?" she knocked on the door but there was no reply.

            She turns the knob slowly, unsure of what she will find. The place looked the same, but his chair was tipped over.

            "Doctor?" She heard the moan again. She looks around her until she sees Dr. Gutierrez lying on his stomach behind his desk. "Doctor!" she runs up to him and touches his shoulder. Dr. Gutierrez quivers. "What happened?" she asks as she helps him to his feet.

            "I . . . I don't really know . . . " he replies bewildered.

            "I'm going to call the cops— "

            "No, don't," he says rapidly holding her arm tightly.

            She watches him as he rubs his hands on his face, he doesn't look well. "Okay, want me to take you to the hospital?"

            "No, no. Call Dr. Smith, from the third floor. I trust him."

            "Alright, I'll be right back," she says unsure if she should leave him alone. He picks his chair up feebly.

            She walks back to her desk and dials Dr. Smith's number. Someone did that to Dr. Gutierrez. He looked so disoriented, like he was on drugs. "Hi, may I speak to Dr. Smith?"

            The receptionist puts on her on hold. Could it be that Vianey, or Karla, did this to him? But why would she? She then remembers the letter, she said that she had some "unfinished business" with Dr. Gutierrez. Could it be that she tried to kill him?

            "This is Dr. Smith," says a deep voice.

            "Hi, this is Ana Marie Cain, Dr. Gutierrez's nurse. There has been an incident with Dr. Gutierrez, would you please come?"

            There was a pause, then he replies, "I'll be there in a minute."

            She thanks him and makes her way back to Dr. Gutierrez's office. She finds him with his head on his desk.

            "Dr. Gutierrez?" He raises his head. "He'll be here any minute."

            "Thank you. Please come in, close the door."

            She did as she was told and sat on the chair before his desk. He goes through his desk drawers for a second then faces her.