Chapter 21

August 11, 2012

            Adam had to go back home. There was some paperwork that couldn't wait much longer to be filled out, and he had to be present at Velez's and Mary Anne's court date. He wasn't looking forward to it at all. But Ana Marie was doing better, and she pushed him to get back, so everything could be finished with sooner. Adam had to agree.

            He arrived to London one Sunday night. The minute he stepped foot in his country, there was one thing he wanted to do. He wanted to tell his family the news. They don't know about Ana Marie, Adam was very private about that, especially after his incident. They don't know how much he is in love with an American girl. His mother will be extremely excited about the news, his father is not going to give a reaction right away. He got that from him. His brothers won't believe him at all, since they were all married already, they doubted that Adam was even suitable for marriage. Adam couldn't wait to tell them though. He couldn't wait to see their faces when he announces that he will get married in America, and he will come back to London with a wonderful wife under his arm.

            He arrived to his flat, when his phone started to ring the moment he opened the door. He drops his suitcase and answers it.

            "Ah, your home," says a familiar voice.

            Adam checks his watch. "Yes, just five minutes ago. What do you need Brian?"

            "Alright, James said that you don't have to be at the trial next week."

            "I don't?"

            "No. The thing is Adam, LPI had a meeting right after we arrived, and we all voted that it will be better if your job was done with the Velez case. We thought that perhaps you wanted to spend more time organizing your wedding and all, what do you think?"

            In normal circumstances, he would have refused. He particularly enjoyed watching the criminals he helped get off the streets going through the agonizing pain as the uncertainty of their future threatened their lives. But this time, he had no intent to see Velez and Mary Anne going through that pain.

            "Alright. I won't attend the trial."

            "Oh, and how's Ana Marie? Is she alright?"

            "Yes, she recovered successfully."

            "That's good. Have you decided on a date?"

            Adam takes a seat on his bed. "Yes we have. August twenty-seventh."

            "That's a few weeks away, isn't it?"

            Adam could hear his surprise. "Yes, well. We both agreed that we couldn't wait much longer. You'll get an invitation soon," he assures him.

            "Alright. See you back at the office tomorrow then?"

            "Yes."

            "Very well. I'm glad to hear about Ana Marie. I was telling Bridget about this whole situation, and she is extremely happy for you. She's wants me to tell you that she wishes you good luck." He pauses as his wife is saying something Adam couldn't quite understand. "Right, and she said it was about bloody time you settled."

            Adam laughs. "Tell her thank you."

            "Will do. See you tomorrow then."

            Adam hangs up the phone. He starts taking his clothes off and prepares for a much needed cold shower. It will be the first time in years that he will be able to sleep a whole night. There was nothing in his head worrying him. Everything was at last going well for him. He pauses as he takes a look at himself in the bathroom mirror. He sees his scars. Everything seemed like a distant dream now. He then realizes, he misses Ana Marie already.