Chapter 10

July 27, 2012

            Ana Marie rings the doorbell and she rubs her hands together hating the chillness from outside. It was close to nine o’clock and the air smelled like wet grass. She crossed her arms tightly. She hopes and prays that her father’s anger had elapsed, and that with the same ‘love’ he had received her before, he will let her stay over the night. She looks around her, the black car was nowhere to be seen, she smiles, the stalker was probably scared after her crazy outburst.

            Then uneasiness crept over her. Was it all in her head when she saw Adam back at the bar? It seems ridiculous that it was an illusion. She did see a picture of him earlier so maybe her mind was playing tricks on her. She shakes her head, no because this time she saw Adam, he’s hair was shorter and his chest was broader like he had worked out more. How did she imagine him so differently? What was it then? Adam was dead . . . but she never did see his body—  

            “Ana!” she hears, “Come on in,” her father says and she follows him inside. “Is everything alright?” he asks as he sees her sports bag hanging from her shoulder.

            Ana Marie looks at him, he’s wearing his bathrobe. “I had a fight with my mother, and I didn’t know where else to turn,” she explains exactly how she rehearsed it on the way. “Is it okay if I stay here?” He doesn’t move, she starts to panic, he is not falling for it. “I’ll understand if you say no. I’ll just stay at a motel.”

            Her father embraces her rapidly. “No daughter of mine will stay at a filthy motel.” He walks her towards the living room where she had been before. “Want to tell me about it?”

            She doesn’t because there was nothing to talk about but she nods. “She doesn’t understand me. She tells me one thing, but I don’t know if I can, even if I should. She wants me to but I don’t want her to want me to because it has to come from me, do you know what I mean?”

            Her father looks at her baffled. “Sure,” he says as he holds her. “Let me just call Bob, so he can show you to your room, okay?”

             “Thank you. I promise it will only be tonight.”

             “Stay as long as you need.” He waves off as he starts up the stairs.

            Ana Marie finds herself smiling, he had no idea what she was talking about. And truthfully, neither did she.

            “Ana,” she turns and his father came back down wearing a grey suit, looking very elegant. Beside him was that woman, except she wore a tiny black dress and her hair was up into a low ponytail. Who is that woman? “Bob is readying your room. I unfortunately have to go out, but please, make yourself at home.”

            Ana Marie nods, this couldn’t be more perfect. “Thank you, have fun?”

            “We will.” He starts towards the door then as if he remembers something, he steps back. “Oh, this is Vianey Villa. We work together.”

            “Oh, nice to meet you,” Ana Marie says not sure if she means it. The way he said ‘work together’ gave her the chills. The lady simply smiles.

            They walk out and Ana Marie is left alone in the big house. She starts walking around, looking at everything, what exactly was she searching for?

            “Miss Ana Marie?” says a deep intimidating voice. She turns rapidly and finds a big tall man wearing all black and a beard covered half his face. She closes her eyes painfully, he reminds her of that night. “Right over here please,” he says extending his arm to the side.