Chapter 13

April 21, 2007

            It was the day Adam would arrive to Mary Ann’s, get a sample of Paragalis forcibly and arrest Velez once and for all. But it wasn’t going to be so easy. A war could be unleashed, Velez’ men were going to be there without a doubt, they would be guarding the house, then Brian and Adam will have their guns, things were going to get ugly.

            Adam wanted to see Ana Marie, if not for the last time. It was time for her to know the truth. He called her earlier and asked if he could come over. Ana Marie sounded happy and agreed.

            He arrived at eight o’clock at night, one hour before the last step for the case. When he arrived, however, Jose Velez opened her door. Adam froze at the sight of him.

            “Come on in,” he said coldly.

            Adam entered carefully, what was he going to do to him now that he knew that he had been tricked? Ana Marie was sitting on the couch, by her blue dress, he knew she wasn’t expecting Velez either.

            “Please have a seat,” Velez said. Adam did as he was told, sitting beside Ana Marie, he found it hard to face her. He could tell she noticed for she laid her hand on his knee worriedly. The case was plummeting and without him wishing to, he was dragging Ana Marie with it.

            Velez looked at him then at her, he started, “Ana, I think you should know what Mr. Hayes is doing here in Phoenix.”

            “I know why he’s here,” she defended. “He is investigating a case.”

            Velez watched her as tenderly as he could. “Yes, a case he was using you to unravel.”

            “Using me?”

            “Why don’t you tell her, Mr. Hayes?”

            Adam felt the anger rising, he is sabotaging him, and the case. To involve her daughter like that was despicable. “I am not using her,” he replied firmly.

            “Mr. Hayes,” Velez continued as if he didn’t hear him. “Is actually investigating me. For some reason, London has wanted to arrest me, for a crime I have definitely no idea about.”

            Adam raised his eyebrows, he lied like a professional. He kept eye contact, and he kept his tone even.

            Ana Marie looked at him unsure of what was said was true. “You are?”

            Adam opened his mouth to reply but Velez interrupted. “He is, and he is using you to get to me. Why do you think he even talked to you in the first place?”

            “Ana Marie, I didn’t even know that— “He held her hand as she watched him disappointedly.

            “He’s lying, Ana,” Velez interrupted and Adam was becoming flustered.

            He stood angrily. “You don’t know what you are talking about.” He turned to look at Ana Marie. “Yes, I am here because of him, but I didn’t know he had a daughter, I didn’t know about you.”

            Ana Marie looked down at the floor thoughtfully. “Is that why you kept asking me about him?”

            Adam shakes his head desperately, “I did ask for your father, but it wasn’t because I was using you, I wanted to know if— “

            “Yes, Ana, he was using you, it was no coincidence that he asked you about me.”

            Ana Marie dropped her gaze, she was on the verge to tears.