𝘴𝘪𝘹 !

saturday 00:02
📍y/n's house

Y/N SITS BETWEEN ATSUMU'S LEGS, her back pressed into his chest as his arms reach around her body to hold the game controller. his back leans against the foot of her bed as they sit on the floor in a comfortable silence while they play minecraft.

y/n is concentrated on building their house, while atsumu is mining and goofing off in the caves.

in the silence, y/n can't help but to think about how her heart has been racing all of a sudden when she's close to atsumu. how she wanted to kiss him earlier, and hold his hands.

it's not something that friends do. but atsumu is just her best friend, it's always been that way, nothing more.

she can't possibly have feelings for atsumu.

but then she realizes, even the fact that the thought ever came into her mind at all suggests that she might.

why else would she have butterflies in her stomach right now, while she's sitting so close to him and his arms are around her?

and while she wants to deny it, it's inevitable. she should have seen the signs from a mile away. maybe now they're more obvious, but they haven't just started today.

y/n is in love with atsumu. her best friend.

and the realization hit her like a truck.

but what is she supposed to do now? confess? it's not like he'll ever see her as more than his best friend, and even if he did, they've been friends for so long that getting into a romantic relationship could mess their perfect friendship up permanently. nothing would ever be the same. and she loves how it is now.

but she wants to just turn around and kiss him so badly just to see what it's like. to be loved and treasured by him in a different way. not a friend way.

her axe breaks in the game, bringing her attention back to reality.

"hey tsumu, do you have any iron?"

"yeah sure! want me to come to you?" his breath tickles her neck as he talks next to her ear, causing tingles to spread down her spine.

"no, that's okay. i'll come find you."

WITH EACH PASSING DAY, y/n's feelings for her best friend grow stronger.

on a wednesday after school, she decides that she should try to flirt with him and see what happens. maybe if it doesn't work she can take that as a sort of indirect rejection and she can move on without ever confessing and making things weird.

he always comes over to her house after practice instead of going to his own because he likes her shower a lot more than his own and osamu always hogs all the hot water at his house. and he loves to be with y/n.

the only time he ever doesn't come over is if he has plans, which he always informs her about beforehand. and today he didn't say anything so he'll be over later.

it's not like she's great at flirting. she always gets too awkward and messes up. smooth isn't even in her vocabulary. and the only reason she got together with yuji was because he pursued her until she started liking him back.

how can she be subtle without being TOO subtle?

when she hears her front door close downstairs, she's at her dresser putting away her clean laundry. her door bursts open like always and atsumu smiles at the sight of her.

"HIYA Y/N!" he exclaims. stepping toward her.

"HEY TSUMU!" she smiles. okay, this is it, she thinks. she wraps her arms around him to pull him into a warm hug, which surprises him as he's never been greeted with a hug like this from her before. he quickly embraces her too, placing one hand on her lower back and the other between her shoulders.

"Y/N A HUG? WHAT'S THIS ABOUT?" he asks, his heart racing and stomach flipping.

she chuckles. "i just felt like it."

his eyes widen as she buries her face in his chest. "w-wha-?"

before he can retort, she pulls away, going back to her laundry pile and putting a shirt back in its place.

"W-WAIT COME BACK!" atsumu pouts, going after her and grabbing her arm, pulling her back into his embrace.

y/n's heart is beating so fast she's surprised she isn't going into cardiac arrest. she slowly wraps her arms back around him, and he squeezes her until she can barely breathe.

"tsumu!" she coughs and he loosens his grip a little, chuckling.

"sorry sorry, i just didn't wanna let you go just yet," he replies, and she laughs, pinching his side. he jumps, yelping, and she pulls away again.

"alright, now go shower, stinky," she chuckles, clapping her hand on his shoulder and giving him a little push toward her bathroom.

"s-shut up dickhead!" he stutters as she throws him a clean set of clothes from his drawer in her dresser. he catches them and walks into the bathroom, closing the door, and as soon as he's out of sight, y/n sighs and falls back on her bed.

it definitely was not a rejection—he seemed to return the energy she was giving—which only makes her more confused and conflicted. could it just be him wanting affection from his best friend? or could he really be flirting back?