𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘷𝘦 !

two weeks later
saturday 16:33
📍y/n's house

"SURPRISE! HAPPY 17TH BIRTHDAY!" everyone cheers as y/n walks into her front door, followed by atsumu.

after lots of planning on atsumu's part, y/n's 'surprise' birthday party (that she also miraculously helped plan) was a success.

"wow! thanks guys! this is so nice!" y/n smiles, trying to seem startled.

inside of the house are all of y/n's closest friends and family members. there's suna and his girlfriend chiyo (who is, funny enough, one of y/n's childhood friends), osamu, her parents, her grandparents, mr. & mrs. miya, some other relatives, and mai.

"mai!!" y/n says, trying to act surprised. "you're home!" she quickly makes her way over to mai, hugging her tightly. over her sister's shoulder she winks at atsumu, who tries not to laugh. he gives y/n a thumbs up and an approving nod, letting her know her acting is working.

each of her loved ones approaches her at one point of the party to wish her a happy birthday and strike up a conversation. atsumu (im)patiently waits until he can have y/n all to himself again.

about two hours in, atsumu steals y/n away from the party to discuss their final plan.

they purposefully didn't buy any candles so that they could make mai and osamu go get them alone together at the corner store down the street. they also planned a sleepover for suna, chiyo, osamu, and atsumu to stay over at y/n's house with y/n and mai.

at the sleepover, the plan is to try to convince everyone to play either truth or dare (in which they'll dare osamu and mai to do seven minutes in heaven or some other risqué dare) or spin the bottle (which is more risky, because atsumu does NOT want it to go wrong and have to see y/n kiss someone else).

"is phase one of operation osamai a go?" atsumu jokingly says. y/n chuckles.

"yes sir!" she salutes. "i'll go distract mom and dad so they don't try to go instead of the lovebirds."

they split up, each going to perform their task.

across the room, as y/n speaks to her parents, she sees atsumu wink at her from the kitchen, and then he looks across the room. she follows his eyes to see mai and osamu walking out of the front door.

"oh! any idea where they're going?" y/n's dad asks, noticing them leaving. y/n shakes her head innocently.

"oh, okay, well-"

"hey! (father's name), (mother's name)! what did you guys say mai was majoring in?" y/n's grandmother calls from across the room. y/n takes the opportunity to slip away and go back to the kitchen, where atsumu is.

"did it go well?" she asks, sitting on the counter, hanging her legs over the edge.

atsumu stands next to her, observing the people socializing.

"yes it did! they didn't even protest, i think they wanted to get out of here and be alone," he smirks, and y/n raises her eyebrows.

"REALLY? oh my god, yay! this is gonna be easier than we expected!"

"i know, right? say, where'd sunarin and chiyo go?"

"probably fucking," y/n chuckles, then her eyes widen. "i swear, if that bitch suna is using my bedroom i'll kill him!"

atsumu bursts out laughing. "he probably is! i bet they're under your covers right now!"

"shut the hell up tsumu! i don't wanna think about that! that's foul!"

he raises his hands in defense, choking back a laugh. "hey! i mean you're the one who brought it up! i was just saying!"

"oh fuck off."

there's a short instance of silence between the two of them before they both whip their heads to look at each other. "wanna go check?" they both say at the same time, before bursting out laughing.

atsumu grabs y/n's hand, interlocking their fingers as he drags her through the house and up the stairs.

she can't help but blush at the feeling of her fingers intertwined with atsumu's as electricity courses through her body, starting at the hand that rests in his.

upstairs, they peek into y/n's room through the cracked door, the way that she left it earlier.

no one.

then suddenly around the corner the hallway bathroom door opens and out walks suna, who attempts to fix his unruly hair.

atsumu struggles to hold in a laugh as he and y/n peek around the corner.

"sunarin! whatcha doin' up here?" atsumu emerges from around the corner, making it look like he left y/n's room.

"o-oh i was just, um... using the bathroom. a-and don't call me that," he says nervously.

y/n emerges around the corner a few seconds later and atsumu secretly gives her a 'we knew it' look.

"tsumu, maybe you left your toothbrush in the hall bathroom? i can't find it in mine," y/n improvises. "oh, hey rintarou!"

atsumu catches on and heads toward the bathroom that suna just came out of, alone. "oh you're right! let me go see-"

"wait!" suna nervously says. atsumu turns back to him with a sly grin.

"what's wrong, sunarin?" atsumu smiles innocently.

"i-i, uh... i left my-"

"don't worry suna, we know that the two of you were being unholy in there. how's it going chiyo?" atsumu calls toward the bathroom and chiyo sticks her head out, her hair messy. atsumu and y/n burst out laughing at their guilty faces.

"caught you guys red-handed! this is gold!" y/n says, doubling over in laughter.

suna sighs, chuckling a little. "i swear, sometimes i don't know why i call you guys my best friends."

"you love us!" atsumu says between laughs. suna flicks y/n and atsumu off before leading chiyo back down the stairs.

y/n slowly stops laughing, leaning her head on atsumu's chest to catch her breath.

she can't tell if his heart is racing because of his laughing fit, or because of something else.