One Special Night

"Papa, why do I have to dress up to see Doctor Hopper?" Roland asked, tugging on the polo shirt Robin had put on him that morning. He looked like he wanted to tear it off and while Robin understood his son's discomfort, he still hoped Roland kept it on long enough for them to get through their session.

Robin knelt in front of Roland, gently removing his hand from his shirt. "There's going to be a special guest today and I want you to look your best."

"Who?" Roland asked, frowning. "Is it Regina or Sophie? I don't think I need to dress up for them."

He chuckled, knowing his son had a point and marveling at how quickly the Mills' women became enmeshed in their lives. Robin shook his head. "It's neither of them. We'll explain it to you once we get to Doctor Hopper's office, okay?"

"Okay," Roland replied, trusting him as they headed out to the car. Robin helped him into his booster seat and got him all buckled in before heading to the driver's seat.

As he started up the car, he glanced back at his son. Roland looked nervous and Robin frowned. "Roland? Are you okay?"

"I'm just confused," he said.

"I know," Robin replied, pulling away from the curb. "But I promise everything will make more sense once we get to the office, okay?"

Roland nodded, trusting him completely. As he headed to the main part of Storybrooke, Robin hoped that everything went well and that Marian didn't let them both down that day. She didn't have a particularly good track record, which was why Robin didn't want to tell Roland anything more until they got to Dr. Hopper's office.

It was a short drive and Robin quickly found a parking spot near the office. He helped Roland from the car and ushered him into the office, his heart hammering in his chest the entire time. Robin wished he could just jump an hour into the future to see how it went – if his son was able to meet his mother or if Marian had failed them yet again.

Dr. Hopper greeted them as they climbed the stairs to his office. "How are we doing today?" he asked.

"Good," Roland replied, "though I don't know why I have to dress up today."

"I told him we would explain everything once we got here," Robin told Archie, hoping the therapist would be able to help.

Dr. Hopper nodded. "Why don't you two come in and get comfortable so we can do just that?"

Robin released Roland's hand, letting his son enter the room and pet Pongo. He lingered behind, to ask Dr. Hopper an important question. "Have you heard from her?"

"I have," Dr. Hopper replied. "She called a little while ago to confirm my address and asked about parking. She said she would be here at the agreed upon time."

"Good," Robin said, relieved. "I was afraid she wouldn't come."

Dr. Hopper nodded. "I understand but I think this is important to her and she's committed to going through with this."

"For now," Robin replied, unable to help himself. He then paused before asking: "Do you think I should trust her more?"

"I think she needs to earn your trust and it's understandable that you're suspicious," the therapist replied. "You're just trying to protect yourself and Roland."

Robin nodded, feeling a bit better. "She's hurt us both before and this time it would be worse because Roland will remember it."

Dr. Hopper chuckled. "You don't have to convince me of anything, Robin. I understand why you feel this way."

"Thank you," Robin said. He looked inside the room. "Should we go and talk with Roland now?"

"Yes, let's," Dr. Hopper replied, motioning for Robin to enter the room first.