Past and Future

Regina sat in the lobby of the law office, her briefcase on her lap as she tried not to shake her leg from nerves. She reminded herself that she was just there to get Robin legally declared Sophie's father and to get advice on what their next steps should be, not because she had done anything wrong. Yet it still felt like she was waiting to see the principal after being called out of class.

"Sorry," Robin said, entering the office. He hurried over to her, plopping down in the chair next to her. "I was driving around trying to find a spot. Where did you park?"

"Town hall. It's only a block away, so I walked," she replied.

He chuckled. "Lucky."

"You know, there's a spot designated for the mayor's spouse. I could get you a permit and you can start using it," she offered.

"Are you proposing to me, Madam Mayor?" He raised an eyebrow.

She gave him a look, pressing her lips together to keep from laughing. "You know it's too soon for that. But not too soon for some perks."

He laughed. "Thank you, Regina. But I think I'll continue to find my own parking spot for a little bit longer."

"Madam Mayor? Ms. Tink will see you now," the secretary said, motioning to the door behind her.

Regina stood as did Robin, who frowned. "Tink? We're seeing Tink?"

"Yes," she said, frowning now as well. "Why? Do you have a problem with that?"

"No, not at all. Tink actually helped me a few years back, when I had my ex's maternal rights to Roland terminated," he said, placing a hand on Regina's back as they entered Tink's office.

Tink was a petite woman with blonde hair that was pulled into a bun atop her head. She wore a dark green dress with black pumps. Regina believed she looked a bit too young to be the accomplished lawyer Mal promised she was but Tink did look welcoming. And Robin had worked with her...

"Robin! It's so good to see you again." Tink paused before adding: "I think."

He laughed, shaking her hand. "In this case, yes."

"Well, why don't you two have a seat and you can tell me what you need my help with," Tink said, motioning to the two chairs in front of her desk.

Regina took a seat as her mind raced. She had just learned more about Robin in two minutes than she had in almost a month. He had gone to Tink and while it had been clear that Roland's mother was no longer in the picture, she now had confirmation. Terminating maternal rights was pretty final.

Tink smiled at them. "So, what can I do for you?"

"It's a bit of a long story, but basically I would like Robin to be legally recognized as my daughter's father," Regina explained.

"And is he? If so, are you sure? Will a paternity test be needed?" Tink asked, pulling out some papers.

Robin shook his head. "Paternity is not a question. We know I'm Sophie's father. It's just the birth certificate doesn't say it."

Tink nodded. "Well, that should be simple enough to fix. We just need to file an affidavit with the court. Is there anything else you want to discuss? Custody? Support?"

She shook her head. "We're pretty good there. I don't think we'll need to courts to help us work that out."

"Okay," Tink replied, "but you let me know if you two change your mind."