Bonding

Robin pushed his cart through the grocery store, turning to his children. "Okay, so, let's get some food for this weekend. Sophie, feel free to pick out what you like. And keep in mind I have spoken with your mother, so I know what you can and can't have."

Sophie didn't seem to mind, almost vibrating with excitement. "How many sweets did she say I can have?"

"She said that because it's a special occasion you can have ice cream and then your choice—a bag of sweets or a bag of chips," Robin said.

"Okay," she replied, smiling widely. "This is going to be the best weekend ever!"

Robin laughed, giving her a one-armed hug. "Yes, it is. I'm going to do everything to guarantee it."

"Can we make s'mores?" Roland asked, holding onto the back of the cart. "Like you do at camp?"

Sophie's eyes grew wide. "Can we, Daddy? Please?"

With two pairs of pleading brown eyes focused on him, Robin melted and he nodded. "Okay. We can make s'mores."

His children cheered and Robin pushed the cart into the produce aisle. "I'm glad you're all excited for vegetables!" he joked.

Roland groaned but Sophie continued to bounce up and down. "Can we get some baby carrots? I love them!"

"Of course," he said. "Your mother said that."

"Is Ms. Regina coming? Should we get something for her to eat?" Roland asked, looking hopeful.

Robin pressed his lips together. He had often worried about a lack of a maternal figure in his son's life with the closest being his mother who was across the ocean. Though he had several female friends, none ever took on a motherly role toward Roland. And Roland had never looked up at one of them as a mother figure. It was clear now, though, that he saw Regina that way. Robin figured it was because Regina was a mother and reacted to Roland that way, taking care of him and patiently answering any questions he had. There was also the fact that she had bonded with Roland over their shared fear of thunderstorms, cuddling him that night to make him feel better.

Then there was earlier in the week when they had had dinner at Regina's. After Will had bowed out following dessert, Sophie had begged him and Roland to stay for a family move night. He had caved easily to his little girl and offered to make popcorn. When he returned to the living room, Sophie was lying on the floor waiting to start the movie while Roland was curled up on Regina's lap. As the movie progressed, he clung to her more and more until he was sound asleep on her shoulder. Robin had offered to take his son from her but she had waved him off, rubbing the boy's back as she continued to watch the movie.

"Ms. Regina is only coming for lunch tomorrow," Robin replied. "She's going to be on our phone call to Nan and Pops."

Roland frowned. "She's not sleeping over with Sophie tonight?"

"No. It's just me, you and Sophie. We're having some family bonding."

"But Ms. Regina is our family. Isn't she?" Roland asked, looking up at him with big brown eyes.

Robin felt like he was in a Catch-22. Regina was family because she was Sophie's mother. No matter what happened between them, that was always going to be true. But they were taking it slow, so she wanted to give the three of them time to bond as a family. He just wasn't sure he could explain that to a kindergartner.