Growing Closer

"The kids are watching TV in the living room," Robin said, coming into the kitchen. "Can I help you with anything?"

Regina nodded, motioning to a nearby towel. "Can you dry these pans for me, please?"

"Of course," he replied, picking up the towel and taking a pan from her hands. He started to dry it, letting her focus on the next pan in the sink.

They finished cleaning from dinner in a comfortable silence as Regina wondered if this would've been their routine had they been able to stay together. Even years later, they were in sync with each other and moved with the ease of a couple who had been together for those years rather than apart.

"Penny for your thoughts?" he asked her. He now leaned against the counter and had placed the towel over his shoulder.

It was downright sexy.

She pushed that thought away as she gave him a soft smile. "Just thinking about what our lives could've been."

He hummed before reaching out, rubbing her cheek with his thumb. "I sometimes like to go there too. But I try not to stay there too long. If I do, I get angry and forget to enjoy what I do have now."

"When did you get so wise?" she asked him, hugging him. She rested her head on his chest as he rubbed her back.

Robin chuckled, swaying them gently. "I don't know if I'm wise. Just taking this one day at a time."

She hummed in response, closing her eyes as she listened to his heartbeat. "Maybe I should do that."

"I think you're doing fine," he told her. "Actually, I think you're just amazing."

"You're biased," she reminded him.

He shrugged. "Perhaps I am."

They stood there a bit longer, just holding each other in silence. After a little while, Robin kissed her forehead. "I was thinking we're overdue for a proper date night."

"You were?" she asked, raising her head and opening her eyes to look up at him.

He nodded. "What are you doing this Saturday?"

"Nothing for now," she replied. "Are you sure you want to have a date night the day after Roland meets Marian?"

"I think he'll be fine. We're going to meet in Archie's office and so I think it'll go well, nothing to traumatize him. He might be more curious about her but I don't think he's going to be upset if we go out," he said.

She nodded, knowing he had a point. But she still worried, especially as she considered the request she had wanted to make of him. Toying with her bottom lip, she decided to ask her question. "Do you think he'd be okay if we made it an overnight date?"

His widened slightly but his lips curved into a smirk. "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"That I want to spend a night with you doing adult things? Yes," she said, licking her lips at the prospect.

"Oh," he replied, sucking in some air. He let it out again before smiling. "I think Roland would love to have a sleepover with his Uncle Will. I'll check with him."

She smiled, relieved and glad that he was okay with it. But then another concern popped into her head and she frowned. "Unless you're not ready. I don't want to pressure you into anything. I know we just essentially got back together and so if you want to wait a little while longer, that's fine."

Robin pressed his hand to her cheek, gently rubbing her skin with his thumb. Love and adoration filled his eyes as he gazed down at her. "Oh, I am ready, sweetheart. You aren't pressuring me into anything."