The Locksley-Mills Clan

Chapter 4: The Locksley-Mills Clan

Sophie lounged on the couch, her blanket tucked around her. A pillow propped her up and her injured wrist rested on a second one. She was having a Disney movie marathon, her tradition whenever she wasn't feeling well. When she was well into Robin Hood, the doorbell rang. Lifting her head, she called out: "Mom?"

Regina emerged from the back of the house, a basket filled with clean laundry on her hip. She had taken off despite the Summer Festival happening that weekend, caring for Sophie and her injury. No matter how busy she got as mayor, Regina was always a mother first and would put everything on hold for Sophie.

Sophie liked these days and not just because she had her mother to herself. It was because she got to see her mother as a normal mother. Regina wore jeans and a red t-shirt while doing chores. Today, it was doing laundry and so she smelled like fabric softener.

Putting down the basket, Regina asked: "What's wrong?"

Before Sophie could answer, the doorbell rang again. She watched her mother tighten her ponytail before going to answer the door.

"Hello, Ms. Regina," she heard Roland say. "Can I see Sophie?"

His request was followed by her mother's laugh. "You must be Roland. Of course you may. She's in the living room."

After a few low mutterings between her parents, Robin and Roland came into the living room. Roland let go of their father's hand and ran toward Sophie. "Are you feeling better?"

"Yes, I am," she said, pausing her movie.

Roland held up a bag. "I got you a present to help you feel better and because Papa says he's your Papa too so you're my sister."

"I am," she said, feeling Robin's hand on her hair. "I've never been a big sister before. I hope I don't get it wrong."

"That's okay. I've never been a little brother before. But I'm gonna be the best brother ever! I'll even share my toys."

Robin chuckled as he crouched down next to his children. "Roland, are you going to give Sophie her present?"

"Oh, yeah!" Roland handed her the bag and watched as she pulled a book out. He bounced up and down, excited. "Ms. Belle said you'd love it."

"I do," Sophie said. "I've wanted to read it for a long time now."

He beamed as Robin handed her a bag as well. "I know I still owe you a fair amount of birthday and Christmas gifts...I'd offer you a pony, but your mother probably put you on a horse before you could walk."

"Well, not that early," Sophie said. "But I do have a horse. Grandmother gave her to me."

His jaw tensed up, which did not go unnoticed by her, but it only lasted a few moments. He smiled and motioned to the bag. "Open it."

Sophie reached into a bag and pulled out a crème colored stuffed horse. "It looks like Applesauce. He's my horse," she said before throwing her arms around him. "Thank you, Daddy."

He held her close, kissing her cheek. "I love hearing that," he whispered.

"I love saying it," she whispered back. She let go of him, though she wanted to hold onto him forever, and settled back down on the couch.