Vacation Time

"Okay, everything is all set for your summer vacation with Sophie," Ruby said, entering the office. "I got you a lovely cabin on Lake Champlain. You can go to either New York or Vermont for day trips. If you go to Vermont, bring me back some Ben and Jerry's please."

Regina took the information from her assistant and smiled. "How do you know we're going to go to Ben and Jerry's?"

"Oh, please. There is no way Sophie is going to pass up a chance for their Rocky Road and I know you have a weakness for their Chunky Monkey, no matter how much you try to deny it," Ruby responded, giving her a pointed look.

It seemed her assistant had her there, so Regina laughed. "Fine. What flavor do you want us to bring back?"

Ruby paused, thinking about it. "I'm not sure. I'll let you know before you leave. I'm torn between the red velvet cake and the strawberry cheesecake flavors. Both are so good."

"Why am I not surprised you prefer the red colored flavors?" Regina asked with a fond smile.

Her assistant just gave her a cheeky smile in return, flipping a piece of hair dyed bright red. "It's my signature color. Like you and black."

"What can I say? It's my color," Regina replied with a little flourish of her hands.

"And it looks absolutely beautiful on you," Robin added, strolling into her office. He then sheepishly pointed behind him. "Sorry, no one was out there and I heard voices, so I thought I would show myself in."

Regina smiled at him. "That's fine. You're always welcome in my office."

"Well, I'll just leave you lovebirds alone," Ruby said, giving them a coy smile. "And just let me know if you need me to take a long walk."

She walked out of the office, closing the door behind her. Robin chuckled as he looked back at Regina. "Is she always like that?"

Regina chuckled. "Pretty much, but she's a damn good assistant. I'm pretty sure the place would fall apart around us without her."

"Well, I hope we never have to find out," he said, taking one of the chairs in front of her desk. "So, are you busy or very busy?"

She grinned at his question, leaning back to study him. He looked relaxed, just taking a break with her. Regina answered: "Depends. Why do you want to know?"

He shrugged, looking nonchalant. "I was hoping to take my girlfriend out for a nice quiet lunch before she takes our daughter and leaves me for a week."

There was no malice in his words, no bitter feelings. He hadn't expected her to invite him and Roland on their vacation just because they were now dating and had told her so when she had started to explain her reasoning. But she had made it clear that this was to be one last hurrah where it was just her and Sophie because she expected the Locksley men to join them for vacations coming forward. She had watched as his eyes had misted over and she knew her words had touched him.

"Hmm," she said now, pretending to ponder it over as she looked over her desk. "I guess I can spare about an hour in that case."

He smiled. "Glad to hear that. Any place in particular you want to go?"

"I can never say no to Granny's," she replied, grabbing her purse.

"Thank god," he said, sounding relieved. "I am dying for one of her burgers but didn't want to make a unilateral decision."