Chapter 1

Regulus Black was not exactly a favorite Death Eater, heck he was a great student but didn't get the top marks. He tried to not stand out much. Sure, he had been his mother's favorite, but that wasn't really saying too much. She was a hateful woman that had forced his own brother to run away and live with the Potters.

Did he miss Sirius? Depends on how the question was worded. He did get his brother in trouble often, but that was more to keep himself from the spiteful nature of his mother. Sirius had his side of their life at home, and Regulus his.

Sirius did cross his mind, from time to time. That was because he always feared having to confront his brother in a battle. Maybe that's why he spent more time away from the battles and more time studying. A nose in the book, trying to find ways to hunt down the baby that Voldemort needed to kill seemed to be a good excuse to not fight at all. He was never a fighter. Not a brave Gryffindor like his brother. Merely a good student.

Today, however, he was out walking the edge of a small town. He had read about Albus Dumbledore's connection to Godric's Hollow, and had begun to speculate that the Potters may be hiding in this small little village. It was night, a full moon lit the sky, helping him find his way. A close glimpse and a small walk may give him some sort of hint.

He never made it into the town, however. He heard the piercing sound of a wolf howling in the distance. A foolish mistake, coming out on a full moon night. Especially a wooded area. He turned, withdrawing his wand and using a simple lumos to give him better light.

He saw a light brown werewolf, ridden with scars. A wolf he kind of knew, it was Remus Lupin. He only knew that from the nights he would sneak out after his brother and his friends. Usually in the company of Severus and Barty.

In front of the wolf, however, a small girl with raven black hair and piercing green eyes. He knew the girl well. A girl that had been seated near her father often at the Death Eater meetings. He knew he had to do something. Regulus ran, placing himself between the two. His mind raced through his Third Year Defense Against the Dark Arts text.

"Stupify!" He cast. The wolf was knocked back, just long enough for Regulus to grab the girl and apparate back to Malfoy Manor. This was their headquarters at the moment, and he knew her father would be happy to have her back, safe and sound.

He kneeled down to her level, "How did you get out there, Seres." He asked, looking her over.

"McNair took me." She answered, holding her arm. Regulus took the arm and sighed, a bite mark.

"Does it hurt?" He asked.

She gave a small nod. "Will father hate me?"

Regulus really didn't know the answer. Would he hate her? His mother would. No matter the love there would be hate. Pure bloods hated half breeds. Not to mention, the girl's own mother would really hate her.

The girl was his cousin, a child of Bellatrix Lestrange. Not that the woman had any care for her, she wasn't a boy as she had wanted.

"I really don't know. I feel that he may. And to be honest, if he didn't his followers would." Regulus pondered the complex situation. He picked her back up and carried her into the manner. "We won't tell him about the bite, but we will do what we can to get you somewhere safe."

"Where would that be?" She asked. Such a bright child for her age, always so curious.

His mind thought through all the places he knew, then he had an idea. "I will take you home with me." He commented, a soft smile on his face. "If we don't tell my mother about the bite, she won't mind. To protect you, we will say you are my own. She will adore you and bestow upon you the fortune of my household." He replied. Weirdly, he felt good about this choice. First, he would have to notify her father. It would make him look more favorable in the eyes of his lord.