13 | Insistent

Rafael Mancini

"Here comes the plane, open wide"  smiled Mama as she moved the spoon to my mouth in the motion of a wave, like a plane.

I turned my head to the other side and pouted.
"you need to eat baby" She tilted her head to the side
"I'm not hungry" I continued,
"don't you wanna be strong and tall like Papa when you grow up? you need to eat to grow darling"

"I'm never gonna be like Papa." I scoffed.

papa used to hit mama, he used to hit all of us.

whenever I asked her she would tell me it's gonna end soon and he's just mad because of work. I didn't want to be like papa, I didn't want to hurt women or anyone.

papa would hurt us but he never hurt Maya, I'm glad he never did. I was the oldest one of my siblings, yet the one that hated my dad the most.

"just eat baby, come on" she smiled again bringing the spoon to my lips, I drank the soup and smiled trying to make her happy.

she wrapped her arms around me and suddenly the voice of shoes clicking on the ground appeared. Mama's eyes widened in fear. I hated being useless and powerful against Papa.

"why is he awake, Adelina?" he growled as he grabbed her hand turning her around.

"I'm sorry Liam, he was hungry" She let me go and he looked at me, eyes full of anger.

"he can starve for all I fucking care" he growled again.
she nodded her head and held my hand, taking me down the hall to my bedroom.

I was tired of Papa mistreating Mama, I pushed my hand away and turned around to Papa "Why are you like this?"

"what the fuck did you say?" He growled
"Why are you like this to us!" I scoffed.

he walked over to me and grabbed onto my shirt, he pushed me to the front door and threw me out. mama begged him not to but he pushed her down to the floor.

"Go live on you're own then, cunt." He screamed.

I stood there, watching the closed door. The door I was now not able to enter. I was 9 years old and incapable of anything in life.

I could hear Mama screaming for me, but soon enough she was silent, unable to do anything as well.

the memories kept playing in my head, Mariana wasn't doing anything but reminding me of my mother, the mother I've lost, the affection and attention I've lost.

the times she looked out for me and cared for me, it's done nothing but make me reminisce about my mother, the way she cared for me, loved me and tried to protect us no matter what.

I've lived in the streets and sacrificed everything, for the last 20 years, I did everything I can to get my siblings out of that hell of a house. Unfortunately, 20 years was too late, my mother was now no longer alive.

"Maya wants me to fight in the ring for her birthday," I said.

"No, the fuck you aren't!" Yelled Mariana.
"She's my sister, Mariana, I wouldn't let her down. It'll be just fine." I reassured her.