count to 10

it was a rough night, you had had a massive fight with Natasha-bigger than any fight you two of you had had before. So much so that when you stormed out of your guys' room where you had been yelling, many of the avengers were stood concerned in the kitchen-they had heard and each one of their faces was plastered with fear. Wanda didn't have to read your mind to know what was happening and she attempted to pass you a reassuring look which worked in the opposite.

Tears streamed down your face as you made your way toward the elevator. Before a voice you knew all too well yelled from behind you
"So you're just gonna leave me like this?"
Your whole body winced at the break in nats voice.
"You know this isn't working anymore... believe me natasha i want to stay. I want to stay more than anyone but every day is just like this and i just. i- i cant. I'm hurting you and don't tell me I'm not because i see it. I'm- im seeing it right now..."
You burrowed your head in your hands and let out a long sigh, tears still falling like there's no tomorrow.
" and that's why im going to walk out of this room, and im going to count, to ten. and- and if you want to work at this and you truly want to be with me, you'll follow me out. but-"
you paused hesitantly, the realisation that she could choose the latter hitting you like a bus.
"But If i get to ten. And you're still in here. I'm going on tomorrow's mission alone. A-and we're over."
You hadn't broke your stare at the red haired woman who you loved so painfully and she hadn't broke hers either. Even in a room full of people the two of you had a connection that nobody could ever come close to. The other avengers glanced hopefully between the two of you and you could see from the corner of your eyes the ache inside of each one of them.

After waiting a couple seconds longer for your girlfriend to say something. anything. You pulled your face into a sad smile before inhaling deeply.
You turned and began walking out of the room, toward the elevator.
"One"
you felt the rooms eyes on you but you couldn't turn back. not now.
"Two"
your mind began racing with the thought that you could be loosing the only person you've ever truly loved. There was a faint whisper from behind you and you had to really think about who's it was as your mind sent itself into overdrive.
"Nat, you've gotta go"
Bucky.
"Three"
Your voice sounded more hopeful than a second ago but your certainty was decreasing.
"Four"
Your heart aches in a way you had never felt before as you felt the overwhelming rush of fear cover you like a shadow.
"Five"
There was complete silence. Just the sound of worried breaths and the stifled cries coming from yourself and Natasha.
"Six...
Seven."
"This isn't you natasha, go. you're giving up the best thing you've ever had."
Wanda was painfully good at knowing what to say in every situation.
"I know i am. But i cant wanda. I cant."
"Eight"
You'd expected her to come to you by now. You'd expected everything to be okay and for her to have ran up to you and tell you to stay.
"Nine"
But no. This wasnt like one of the many romcoms you and the redhead had spent all night devouring one after the other. This was real life. And she wasn't coming.
"Ten."
You had drenched your hands with the tears, makeup running all over your face and your shirt was pretty much soaked-you silently thanked that you wore black or else everyone would be able to see. Turning reluctantly you locked eyes with the woman you thought you loved-who you thought loved you and shot her one last look as if to say
'it's okay. come to me.'
You knew that she knew what you were trying to say with the look but she just stood in the same spot she was when you began counting.  a somewhat expressionless yet helpless look spread across her face and her jaw was slightly dropped. She hadn't even had the strength to wipe the floods of tears from her gorgeous, gorgeous eyes and you took that as a sign that she had made her choice.
"i guess we know the answer to my question then."
You watched as Natashas mouth shook as if she were looking for the right words but you knew that if she were true there was no reason for her answer to be so delayed.
"dont... goodbye natalia"
The elevator doors shut with steady pace and you immediately broke down then and there. You literally felt like you were going to explode. Like your legs would drop off and then your arms and then your leg as and your head and so in desperate attempt to stop yourself from coming apart altogether; you subconsciously began etching into the notice board on the elevators wall. You hadn't even noticed the doors open until sheild agents began making their way inside which caused you to hurry out.

It then hit you that you didn't exactly know what you were doing next. You hadnt expected to do what you did and you definitely hadn't expected  your girlfriend to react how she did. Was she even your girlfriend anymore? You didn't even want to think about the answer to that question and so you walked through the crowd of people gathering on the ground floor and walked out of the compound trying your best to hide the very obvious fact that you had been crying. It wasn't a subtle red eyes some staining situation either. Full blown, no more makeup, uncontrolled breathing situation. After making out of the building you began to make your way to your car and as you edged further away and reality hit you your chest felt as if it was closing in on itself and you were convinced you were going to collapse right then and there.
"Y/N stop!"
The voice was too far away for you to hear and you expected it to be wanda trying to talk you into staying but you didn't care anyway. There was no reason that could make you want to stay at that place another day and be constantly reminded of everything you had lost in the last 10 minutes. You continued walking and after a while your brain registered the voice and you stopped in your tracks. It was natasha.

- A/N: sooo... part two??
also this is ib @/avengersarehot on tiktok :)