SEVEN

Y/n's POV

Y/n's POV

To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness. Who was your father? He was evidently a man of some wealth. Was he born in what the Radical papers call the purple of commerce, or did he rise from the ranks of the aristocracy?

An hour had passed since I sat at my regular seat doing a formative assessment. Ballpoint dancing nimbly on the paper as I scrupulously poured out my ideas regarding Oscar Wilde's masterpiece, 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.

This line was basically an ironic way to disregard Jack's loss, and Lady Bracknell focused on the inconvenience of not being able to connect Jack Worthing with any high-ranking family. Her primary goal in life might be to see her dearest daughter and nephew married well but as I skimmed the whole text, there was an undeniable point that she merely care about wealth and family name. It was proven when she suddenly gave consent to Algernon's marriage to Cecily once she came to know that this young lady had a large fortune.

It clearly implied that in high society, it was also necessary to come from a well-known, historically important, and well-connected family that assured a place within the fashionable society aside from money.

If we had to classify what kind of play is this, then the answer was certainly a high comedy-drama that laughs at something society took seriously such as love and honor. Wilde satirized the Victorian ideals of marriage and Lady Bracknell, beyond a doubt represented the hypocrisy of the aristocracy.

Right after I wrote down the last word, the shrill of the alarm reverbed throughout the lecture hall followed by the sound of chairs scraping against the floor as the students scrambled to collect their answer sheets on Professor Namjoon's desk.

I took a peep at my paper one last time, quite pessimistic about the score I would get since I was deliberately using my time to binge-watch my favorite TV shows instead of studying. Well, let's just say I intended to gauge my pure competence by challenging myself not to reviewing any materials for the test. After all, my main intention in college was to gain knowledge, not to be the top student in the class.

"Y/n, I'm sure the alarm was loud enough for you to hear, care to hand over your answer sheet right away before I give you a minimum cumulative GPA?" I scurried down the pitched floor, even though Professor Namjoon was just bluffing, it didn't forestall me from shuddering at his words.

A sudden hush descended over the space as my peers already perched quietly in their seats. I fished out my notebook, ready to copy whatever Professor Namjoon would write on the whiteboard before a strain of merriment rang in the room. The door was promptly bustling with pupils trickling out since the class ended unexpectedly early.

There were only a handful of students who remained in the lecture hall, yet here I am waiting for the right moment to launch my fruitless action for the umpteenth time. I would never be able to facilely breathe until I discovered the actual motive why Taehyung was avoiding me like the plague.