TEN

The day was delightfully bright. Neither a cluster of clouds nor a single droplet of water tarnished the azure field that stretched beyond one's eyes could track. A flock of starlings murmured a chirpy song, muffled by a fusion of giggles and screams as gleeful souls satiated their visceral thrills with numerous adrenaline-charged rides. The splendor of the divine light endued the exuberance of smiling faces. However, nobody realized that between their happiness, between the brilliance of a sunny day, a boy left lonely amidst the euphoria, cloaking in blues, bathing in the downpour of tears.

"Hey, why are you crying?" I approached the boy, dissolving in sympathy.

"Mom... dad..." was all that escaped from his mouth.

"Are you lost?" no response.

"What's your name?" still no response.

I was about to reach out to squeeze his hand, consoling him that things would be alright, yet I found mine hanging heavily in the midway before retracting back to my side. He looked so fragile, so vulnerable, so delicate, and I was afraid that a small touch from my fingertip might break him into pieces.

"Y/n!" my brother was a dozen steps away, it wasn't that hard to notice him as his clamor was an equal match to the commotion. "Such a brat! You can't just ask me to play a shooting game while you are playing hide-and-seek without my permission! What if you get... lost...." The circuitous lecture closed out ahead of time as my brother noticed the presence of a hapless boy next to me.

"Oh my God!" Jin crouched down, resting a hand on the boy's dropping shoulder while his brows crashing together in concern. "What happened, lad? Are you okay?" a barrage of questions bombarded the sad one. Alas, none got an answer. I meddled in, snatching the prize Jin had won for me from the previous game.

"Don't worry, my brother and I will be by your side until we find your parents. Here, this doll is all yours now, so cheer up!" the child finally lifted his head as the soft fur of the doll tickled his skin. His orbs were red-rimmed, misted over with a thin layer of liquid but as soon as I locked them, his palms engulfed half of his face yet again.

"Move aside, sister. It's obvious that I am the one he's fond of." Jin took his ace card out of his sleeve, entertaining the kid with his lame dad jokes which only caused the corners of the boy's mouth to turn down even more.

"I think he is not very fond of you, brother."

"At least I don't make him cower behind his hands seeing how frightening my look is." Jin gibed, implicitly pointing his remark at me.

"At least I don't make him bawl his eyes out knowing how lousy my humor is." I threw the same attack.

"Maybe you should increase your IQ to comprehend the good sense of my humor."

"Maybe you should wear glasses with triple lenses to see the beauty of my look."

The two of us engaged in ineluctable combat, attracting the interest of the visitors by happenstance. A wave of laughter filled the air as the folks found great pleasure in our satire show.

"You two are quarreling like idiots."

"Hey!" Jin and I exclaimed in chorus, wheeling our attention toward the culprit who was none other than the boy we vied for a little while ago.

The traces of tears on his cheeks were now dried and turned into rosy apples. The glum line on his lips now curved with mirth, showing off a row of his crooked teeth as he was unable to control his chuckles. He was a menace to anyone to die in softness and we couldn't help but join him despite ourselves.